Thumbs Up Cleaning cappings

Hello
    I have 6 (45) gallon drums of wax cappings that I would like to clean, any ideas on how I can clean these up in order to sell. Any shortcuts or tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Cleaning cappings

Try private messaging honeyshack here on the forum. She's up in Canada and can tell you how she does it

How about posting something so we can all learn... I have a few gallons of cappings to process but need to clean them.

Can someone post here how to clean & process the cappings? Thank you...

I have melted hundreds of gallons of cappings in a solar wax melter. I get clean wax and cooked honey out of it. I can do five gallons a day May to September.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I have melted hundreds of gallons of cappings in a solar wax melter. I get clean wax and cooked honey out of it. I can do five gallons a day May to September.
    Why don't you post a pic of that goofy looking wax melter contraption you made on this thread.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I suspect this is what Charlie thinks is goofy:

... nothing wrong with functional ...

more pics in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...g-out-old-comb
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I think Ace may have stopped by to stabilize the lid so it wouldn't fly off!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

My goofy contraption is for melting old combs, not cappings. Because it is steam heated, the honey in cappings would be lost into the water from the steam. Solar melting preserves the honey, only cooks it. I sell it for $1. a pound to someone who feeds it to his chickens. My goofy contraption is probably to slow without enough steam power to melt a big five gallon glob of cappings. Even in the solar melter it takes all day. That would make melting cappings in it propane intensive. I cannot justify a $1-$2 thousand dollar steam boiler for my size of operation and what I would produce with it.

Oh yes, I re-read the other post. And please Charlie, show more respect for my inventions by not just calling them Goofy Contraptions. The pictured device is named The JollyOllie Steam Comb Rendering Box. I will soon be introducing the latest hive I have built, and it will finally show Charlie that I am a talent in the Bee World to be re conned with.
    Last edited by odfrank; 12-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.

LOL.... I put a steam powered wallpaper generator on my Christmas list this year. The wife asked why I wanted to remove wallpaper.. I told her I was copying this guys goofy contraptions on beesource for melting old comb. *grins*
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    LOL.... I put a steam powered wallpaper generator on my Christmas list this year. The wife asked why I wanted to remove wallpaper.. I told her I was copying this guys goofy contraptions on beesource for melting old comb. *grins*
    I suggest you view the videos in the other thread just melting in your brood chambers. Here is the Woodcraft steamer.

http://m.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Produ...&ProdId=36236&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curKI76uKJQ