Default Trying to tell if there are drones for split

My first hive has come through "winter"(whatever that is lol) very strong and I'm trying to figure out when I can make a split. It consists of 2 very full deep boxes, and there is a lot - probably a full frame's worth - of capped drone brood, but I can't find any drones. Would there be any running around in the hive at this time of year if they had hatched, or could they all be out flying?

Default Re: Trying to tell if there are drones for split

Uncap some of the brood and see if the pupae have purple eyes. If they do, they will emerge and be ready to mate a queen by the time your presumably walkawy split has raised a queen and she is ready to mate. If your colony has drones at that stage, the neighbors bees are all in the same state. Since your queen is not going to mate with the drones from your colony, sacrifice that drone brood and remove a lot of mites from your colony.

Thank you. I didn't see any purple eyes, so I guess I'll wait a week or two before checking again.

I've never had much luck raising queens before there are drones FLYING. That is pretty easy to tell...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF