Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: CCD/Neonicotinoid Data (Studies, Articles, Links)

too many comments here dealing with bee kills and not CCD. Of course sudden extreme exposure to pesticides kills bees! That is not what CCD is! Its the disappearance of bees from hives with honey and pollen still in the hive!

too many comments here dealing with bee kills and not CCD. Of course sudden extreme exposure to pesticides kills bees! That is not what CCD is! Its the disappearance of bees from hives with honey and pollen still in the hive!
    Actually CCD is more involved than that and my understanding [I've never had it but have seen a couple of hives that may have] is that the queen and a few workers are still there. What your referring to is what I would call absconding. Also, CCD seems to have run it's course in most areas.

Some interesting new research about plant viruses: http://acsh.org/2014/01/latest-buzz-...icide-problem/

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Actually CCD is more involved than that and my understanding [I've never had it but have seen a couple of hives that may have] is that the queen and a few workers are still there. What your referring to is what I would call absconding. Also, CCD seems to have run it's course in most areas.
    Absconding? Hmmm, never heard that term used. Where do u live? In Northern California we have plenty of missing bees and whether u happen to open the box while a queen and a few workers are still left or they all "absconded", it is indeed, a rose by any other color. Do you have any sources of information that CCD has run its course? I would be interested in seeing them.

Absconding is a desperation move where the bees leave and go somewhere else, perhaps to another abandoned hive in a better location or with more stockpiled honey. They could have also joined another hive as well.

You'll know its absconding when there are no bees in the remaining in the hive, not even a small dead cluster around a queen.

I'm in northern california and had one hive that absconded this last November. Lots of others in my guild have experienced the same this fall / winter.

I partially fault myself on my absconding issue in that I drew a lot of honey out of that hive in late September / early October thinking the Eucalyptus season was just around the corner . My late extraction definitely impacted the hive. I had stockpiled that particular hive with frames of honey that wasn't extraction ready in the summer when I did my primary extraction. What I didn't notice was the hive had very little reserves in the brood box and they were consuming the honey from the honey supers.

The hive reacted in that a couple of days later it seemed like they kicked out all their young workers to compensate for the honey loss. (A lot of shiny new bees, not your usual sick crawlers, walking west out of the hive and following the sun). Then they absconded not long after that.

CCD. Just a thought are they marking bees to see if they show up some where else. If this is the case I watched the documentary on Net Felix and my 1st thought on this was to mark the bees some how to see if they show up in another hives, I think this would rule out if they are leaving or dying.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234