Default Pamphlets handed out at work - What does Bayer have to do with bees?

I was out of the office yesterday, but I've heard there were "Bee people" set up in a kiosk in our common area, handing out pamphlets and honey-straws. I assumed it was a local beekeeping club, so I was sorry I missed the opportunity, however a friend of mine handed me the pamphlet they were handing out. It reads like propaganda, but maybe I'm wearing a tin-foil hat. Curious what this community thinks about it...

http://i.imgur.com/W5xVz5f.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/vB8v4Wk.jpg

Default Re: Pamphlets handed out at work - What does Bayer have to do with bees?

Sounds like they were Bayer people rather than bee people. Bayer, as you no doubt know, make the insecticides being defended by that thinly veiled pamphlet.

Regardless of what source it is coming from though I tend to agree with most of what is on the pamphlet (though I know nothing about the historical US data and how accurate it is).

Default Re: Pamphlets handed out at work - What does Bayer have to do with bees?

I find it curious how all the conclusions they draw support the products they make money from, and how all the language subtly paints people with concerns as overreacting.

Seems totally impartial, I'd go with it..

"Thinly veiled"? "A load of bull"? "Propaganda"?

I think the pamphlet is well-written and provides factual information. Items #3 & #4 were the particular subjects of a discussion I had recently with a commercial operator together with my state bee inspector, and the conclusions are the same. I am in complete agreement with it overall.
    Zone 4a/b

Interesting! Where do you work? I'm thinking somewhere big like google, fedex, ups, microsoft, boeing, yahoo or someplace like these. I wonder whats next... county fairs.

It's Bayer, trying to establish themselves in people's minds as friendly to bees, after all the negative publicity they get for creating pesticides and other chemicals harmful to bees. So, when people read articles in the news mentioning that Bayer is behind all the bee-killing, these people will think, "Oh, not Bayer. Must be a mistake. Because Bayer is a bunch of Bee-People who love the little honeybees."

Quote Originally Posted by Teht View Post
    It reads like propaganda, but maybe I'm wearing a tin-foil hat.
    ha, thats the first thought that came to mind. Its like the tobacco industry handing out pamplets that smoking won't give you lung cancer. Its pollution, genetics, diet, many other factors that do. Not the best example but same sort of thing. Perhaps not as severe

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

"Insecticides don't kill insects... er... I mean bees..."
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Pesticides are one of the contributing factors to the health of bees to be sure --- just had this discussion with my brother last night in fact, telling him that treatment for mites involves adding just enough insecticide to kill the mites but not enough to kill the bees.......

Anyway, red flags are raised when i read the following:

"Research shows that there are many factors affection the health of honey bees including parasites, diseases, inadequate nutrition, lack of available forage, off-label use of pesticides and hive management practices."

Why qualify that?

Anyone notice that there was no "works cited" page to show what studies they were basing their information off of.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmje View Post
    Pesticides are one of the contributing factors to the health of bees to be sure --- just had this discussion with my brother last night in fact, telling him that treatment for mites involves adding just enough insecticide to kill the mites but not enough to kill the bees.......

"Research shows that there are many factors affection the health of honey bees including parasites, diseases, inadequate nutrition, lack of available forage, off-label use of pesticides and hive management practices."

Why qualify that?
    Why qualify thar? ....because beekeepers will put almost anything in a beehive if they think it will kill the mites.
    "Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them."Neil Tyson

Interesting how many PMs I got on this...

Personally, I'd not be surprised if some of the information on the pamphlet is useful and correct, although lack of cited reference material and the large amount of repetition makes it look questionable to me. Granted in general handout pamphlets aren't expected to be scientific journals.

My cause for concern is how these people were playing themselves off as bee enthusiasts. Friends of mine at work who know I'm getting into beekeeping were texting me to let me know I should visit the kiosk, thinking I'd be interested. One of my beek coworkers also visited and saw through the ruse very quickly when he saw the pamphlet. He read them the riot act, to which they had very little valid responses - apparently they were unprepared to face any resistance.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it's a place of business so my friend could not be too vocal in his anger at the situation, so these people got their job done. I've already talked to a few friends who brought it up, asking me what I thought about the new insecticides that are safe for bees, and if I knew that CCD isn't a thing anymore. They were pretty well sold on it, and weren't happy when I explained my opinion on the matter.

Believe it or not, the one thing that bothers me the most is that these people were handing out honey straws... I know there's nothing to keep them from doing so, but I feel like it's a big sign that says "I'm your friendly neighborhood hobby beekeeper". I'm sure these people know that, and that's why they did it...

Just like big pharma- sure it's all natural, has less side effects, and costs pennies on the dollar. But if people buy that stuff we lose millions. Let's demonize it as best we can and then get our lobbyists working on it in Washington.
    Zones 6A & 6B

Quote Originally Posted by lemmje View Post

Why qualify that?
    Per my buddy (not a definitive source, but a smart guy) the reason for this is because the label says not to spray during foraging hours specifically so you don't kill bees. The problem is the amount of people who either don't read the label or do read it and choose to ignore it. If you're a farmer and you read the label at 10:00am and notice it says you need to spray your field before sun-up, are you going to wait or are you going to spray the field that needs to be sprayed?

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    ha, thats the first thought that came to mind. Its like the tobacco industry handing out pamplets that smoking won't give you lung cancer. Its pollution, genetics, diet, many other factors that do. Not the best example but same sort of thing. Perhaps not as severe

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?
    At the corporate offices for one of the major US home improvement retailers... They don't like us actually saying what company we work for online cause #legal, you know how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Teht View Post
    I was out of the office yesterday, but I've heard there were "Bee people" set up in a kiosk in our common area, handing out pamphlets and honey-straws. I assumed it was a local beekeeping club, so I was sorry I missed the opportunity, however a friend of mine handed me the pamphlet they were handing out. It reads like propaganda, but maybe I'm wearing a tin-foil hat. Curious what this community thinks about it...

http://i.imgur.com/W5xVz5f.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/vB8v4Wk.jpg
    Hard to read, but the "Bayer" name says it all. They are famous for spreading poison and selling the beekeeping chemicals.