Default OrganicView's Open Letter to American Beekeepers

This popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. I found it an interesting read worth pondering.

http://www.theorganicview.com/uncate...an-beekeepers/

Default Re: OrganicView's Open Letter to American Beekeepers

Yup, the standard hysteria when the science doesn't support the drastic action they think is necessary. Par for the course.
    Technology is great.....when it works.

Where's the hysteria?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    Where's the hysteria?

Wayne
    The better question is where isn't it? Here are a couple of the lowest hanging fruits.

"If American beekeepers accept this report, they will suffer:"

"American beekeeping stands at a crossroads: one road leads to a pesticide-drenched future, mapped out in this Task Force Report. "

"If the beekeepers swallow this without a fight, they condemn themselves and their industry to an increasingly toxic decline, ruled over by the pesticide companies and the ethically corrupt EPA."

It's non-scientifically supported sensationalist gobbledygook at the very least.
    Last edited by D Coates; 06-09-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Environmental NGO’s have strongly criticised the Task Force Report including: PANNA, Beyond Pesticides, Center for Food Safety, Friends of the Earth, National Resources Defense Council and EcoWatch
    Not familiar with all those organizations, but the one's i am i know are far more agenda driven than scientific based.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Before taking sides I suggest you download and read the actual report and action plan as written by the Pollinator Health Task Force. Here is the White House link, go to the bottom of the page and you will find all the related data. The Report is 58 pages, the Action Plan is 57 pages plus a 28 page appendix, and there is an additional 77 page appendix to the entire topic. Happy reading everybody.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015...linator-health

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    It's non-scientifically supported sensationalist gobbledygook at the very least.
    So, on the other side of the coin, the argument might be the "science" you support is non-scientifically supported industry-manipulated spin?

I suspect the truth lines somewhere between the extremes of hysteria and spin. Opinion is opinion. Being your opinion doesn't make it fact and doesn't make it wrong. Calling differing opinions hysteria or gobbledygook offers less than nothing to the discussion.

You may not agree with the message of the letter but again, I don't see any hysteria.

Wayne

Agreed, it's going to be sitting somewhere in the middle but until I see the scientifically based repeatable proof I'm suspect of everything. My opinion is it's non-scientifically based gobbledygook when I see the sky-is-falling claims. They can't make their point with proof so they get sensationalistic to get attention.

Imagine if the quote was "If American beekeepers don't accept this report, they will suffer" coming from an industry report. Wouldn't your radar go off? My would, just like it did with this hysteria claim of, "If American beekeepers accept this report they will suffer." It's a spin of threat with no proof of diddle, pure and simple

I don't buy anyone's claims but I'll listen until I see bold unsubstantiated claims and demands for action. Then I'm done with it.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

The report didn't say what they wanted it to say. So now they're telling us we're doomed unless we sign their open letter.

"...a pesticide drenched future..."

"...an increasingly toxic decline, ruled over by the pesticide companies...."

A foot-stamping hissy fit.

Is this from The Onion?

There is a scientific report linked on this site which says 70% of all colony losses are from mites. That leaves 30% for ALL other causes including pesticides.
    So who is right?

Remember when microwave ovens were going to make us sterile? And cell phone towers were killing the bees?
    Take this with a HUGE grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    A foot-stamping hissy fit.
    Are you referring to the open letter or your post?

Just wondering.

Wayne

Wayne,
    I suspect you don't see any hysteria because you are sympathetic to the Open Letter. Normally when someone does not see overblown rhetoric it's because the rhetoric supports their position.

That's fine. Perhaps instead of snark you might defend the urgency of the Open Letter.

Edit:
    The Open Letter accuses the EPA and the beekeeping associations of being bought and paid for by the chemical companies. They offer no evidence.
    That is an astonishing accusation to make. Not that it couldn't happen, but it would be nice if they backed it up.
    Quote: " It is not known how they manipulated the beekeepers into this self-censorship; but the fact that it was done, is plain to see."
    That is overblown rhetoric right there. 'It's true because we say it is', is essentially the message.

Actually, Arnie, I'm just enjoying the thread. I always get a kick out of non-scientists "debating" science. It always boils down to overblown rhetoric and name-calling in the absence of an ability to present a scientific position on one side or the other.

How could it be otherwise? We use the limited tools we possess.

Wayne

I just love the phrase "It doesn't make sense. A first grader wouldn't do it" at the top of the web page. It sounds a lot like "It is so easy, even a caveman could do it". The whole thing reeks of Madison Ave. advertising without any real scientific proof. I will look forward to seeing the bees make a huge rebound in Europe after the neonics have been gone for a few years. Then, I may begin to believe that neonics were the cause of all the problems.