Default double-stranded RNA (dsRNA) the new hype against V. destructor?

double-stranded RNA (dsRNA) the new hype against V. destructor or a new avenue toward an efective treatment? 3 studies and one patent.

http://parasitesandvectors.biomedcen...1756-3305-3-73
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...9.00847.x/full
    http://journals.plos.org/plospathoge...l.ppat.1003035

http://patents.com/us-8962584.html

Default Re: double-stranded RNA (dsRNA) the new hype against V. destructor?

Hi Eduardo, I seem to remember the university of Aberdeen coming up with something like this about 6 years ago. they added the stuff to syrup and fed it to the bees and the mites picked it up from the bees. this dna thing that they made attacked the mites immune system and killed the mites. Hell if I have to inject this stuff into the mites to kill them I may as well kill them with the needle
    Johno

they made a typo in the patent does that make the patent invalid?

Varroa gene 65ctaatacgac tcactatagg gcgaaatcaa ttcgtctgca gatctcaccg attttctgat 60atcgctggga gtccaggata ttcgactact atgcggagct gaattcagca
    ya right like I know what the heck this is
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Yeah Mike I'm in the same boat as you. This treatment will not be easy to do at home.

But that's what they're working on. And I hear from a friend who is working on the program as an inspector in the field ...he's seeing good things.

don't forget to read the fine print...."The authors assigned their rights to Yissum research development company of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem LTD, which together with Beeologics LLC"...

While I think its definitely a step in the right direction, I have little doubt that Monsanto (who purchased Beelogics) will come forward with any kind of beneficial cost approach to assist the beekeeping industry once their product is made available for purchase. Lets not forget how companies such as this operate.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Last I heard, cost of manufacturing the oligos was still high, but it's been a few years since I had any real vested interest in it.

Riskybizz, if you know of any companies that will spend a lot of money on R@D then bring something to market in this litigious country and market it below cost you must be thinking of some Govt Agency.
    Johno

selling below cost of course not...that hardly makes sense.../ raping a customer because they can is another scenario however, with little regard for the health of the beekeeping industry as a whole. I'm sure your familiar with the term "altruistic".
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    While I think its definitely a step in the right direction, I have little doubt that Monsanto (who purchased Beelogics) will come forward with any kind of beneficial cost approach to assist the beekeeping industry once their product is made available for purchase. Lets not forget how companies such as this operate.
    How do companies like Monsanto operate when it comes to this?
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey
    Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Clover at the time of the purchase, there were numerous articles written and discussions regarding the ramifications of companies such as Monsanto buying up industries within the beekeeping community (for whatever reason). Obviously everyone has a right to their own opinions whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing; certainly time will tell. Based upon Monsanto's business philosophy I for one have serious doubts that anything positive will be the end result by such a large diversified chemical company. In the past they haven't exactly had anyone's best interests in mind other than their own.

Hasn't that changed somewhat since Jerry Hayes left his home and job in Florida to work for Monsanto to be an advocate for honey bees and research that Monsanto is doing for our bee's?
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey
    Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

"Hasn't that changed somewhat since Jerry Hayes left his home and job in Florida to work for Monsanto to be an advocate for honey bees and research"..

gee I don't know has it?

Risky, Monsanto isn't really a chemical company, they manufacture one herbicide, Round up. The bulk of the company is seeds and traits. Beeologics was a technology acquisition as they had developed RNAi technology the company saw as promising and would help relieve some issues with resistance to traits. For example, find the pathway plants are using to overcome Round Up... create some RNAi oligos to knock it out, tank mix them with the Round Up and now the weeds die. As far as the bees go, I never heard of what Beeologics was actually doing once acquired or what the direction of the company/technology was going, only that production of oligos continued to be very high in cost but the Beeologics team was confident they could get it reduced to a level where it would be an affordable product.

Riskybizz, show me an altruistic company and it will or soon will be a bankrupt company. Now as to a company raping their customers, that one I have never heard of, gouging perhaps when there is no competition like the crony capitalist ones perhaps. I have never seen a company that rips off or mistreats their customers survive unless due to legislation. So in the end one needs to think with ones brain and not through the heart.
    Johno

"Hayes once believed—perhaps this was the stupid gene again—that he could build a similar bridge. “I was naive,” he says. He knows he wasn’t wrong about the mites. It was humans that he didn’t understand."

A fascinating story:https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jerry-...bees-monsanto/

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Gomes View Post
    "Hayes once believed—perhaps this was the stupid gene again—that he could build a similar bridge. “I was naive,” he says. He knows he wasn’t wrong about the mites. It was humans that he didn’t understand."

A fascinating story:https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jerry-...bees-monsanto/
    Thanks for posting that article; I have such respect for Jerry Hayes and none for Riskybizz.
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey