Thread: Queen only hive

Default Queen only hive

Hi All...So I had a complete loss of my only hive. It was doing great. Honey and 20 drawn comb. The bees began to decline down to nothing left. When I inspected the hive I found mites at the bottom of hive. Not tons but enough to see them easily. Here is my question...the only bee left in the hive is the Queen. What, if anything, can I do?

Default Re: Queen only hive

You will have to get some bees to take care of her and let her become their queen. Make a cage with screen wire and feed honey/sugar water and water until you can get bees.

Where is Pacifica?
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

I am 10 miles from San Francisco, on the coast. Thanks! So how do I get bees? hahaha I mean is there away to do this without having to wait till next spring? I have been buying the bees with a queen. She is just walking around the comb.

Maybe a beekeeper would be willing to sell a split. Several frames with bees but without a queen or a package without a queen.

I've never heard of your situation before. Maybe the bees absconded and left behind a ripe queen cell. Does she look like she is a virgin: short and small abdomen?
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

I will have to look again tomorrow...she looked big to me but I am a beginner. A few days ago she had about 20 bees with her. Do you think she can live over the winter if I bring her inside and feed her like you said?? I can take a picture of her.

Sounds a bit like mite overload to me.
    Thomas Bartram

probably! I wish I caught it sooner

This isn't the first thread this year about only having a queen left. They protect her to the best of their ability and she will be the last left in a failing colony. Without a support crew YOU will not be able to keep her alive. Sorry.

This is the reason my bee club suggests that you start with 2 packages or nucs. You have the resources on hand to save either of the 2 colonies that you have without having to depend on outside intervention. That being said you would be well advised to find another beekeeper or club near you that may be able to help you now. If not then you have drawn comb and equipment to jump start your new package or nuc for next spring. Please consider starting with 2 next year. Also you now know why varroa control is essential.

You may want to contact some of the queen breeders in the valley to see if they may be able to help you.

Sometimes we need to admit defeat, and call the whole thing off. Put your equipment away, protect it from wax moth and mouse damage, and when you can buy a new starter...nuc or package...re-stock the hive.

Time to turn the queen into something useful: make swarm lure.

Give her away to some one in your bee club, quickly. Then someone will owe you.

Sorry. Pinch that queen, put her in a bottle with some alcohol and use that as your lure to attract swarms.
    You have to know when to give up.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

You will not keep it alive through winter with no bees with it. For now, if it is still alive tomorrow, put it in a cage with some candy and keep warm, 25 to 3o degrees. If you can get a few bees, from anywhere, to put in with her that will help but extending her life by a week or so might be all you can hope for. Room temperature can be lowered once you have some bees in with her.

About what to do with her, any of the above options, my own would be find someone who can use it.

Not sure why this thread is in the neonics section it should be in the treatment free section, under Treatment Free Fails, Another Newby With one Hive Drank the Kool-Aid, Why Is This Encouraged?
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-21-2015 at 08:21 AM.

I believe Oldtimer if referring to 25 to 30 degrees Celsius and not Fahrenheit take heed

Oops! You are correct Slow Drone thanks for catching that.

I just googled it, 25 C is 77 F.

The reason I gave those numbers is that a queen on her own cannot maintain temperature in a cold room. Temperature in a broodnest is around 95 F, and in a broodless cluster can vary but often around 77 F.