Default Neonics appears to reduce live bee sperm- Study

A new study out of the University of Bern in Switzerland found that the common insecticide neonicotinoid reduces the amount of live sperm in drone honey bees by 39 percent.
    This comes on top of a study published earlier this year in PLOS. One that reported the high rate of U.S. honey bee colonies dying coincides with failures of queens and the queen failure was linked to drones' dead sperm.

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/living...#storylink=cpy
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Default Re: Neonics appears to reduce live bee sperm- Study

How about posting the link to the Plos study.

From the report...

"Neonicotinoid-maker Bayer Crop Science spokesman Jeffrey Donald said the firm's scientists will review the study, but in general "artificial exposure to pesticides under lab conditions is not reflective of real-world experience."

I agree.

also from the report...

"Another team of outside researchers, Jerry Bromenshenk and Colin Henderson at the University of Montana, praised the Straub study as careful and significant. But they said in an email there are still unanswered questions on how much this matters."

I don't have the numbers, but the queen mates with multiple drones, but only ends up keeping a portion of the sperm she originally gets impregnated with. I also wonder just how a drone produces dead sperm, and if it is transferred to the queen during mating?

This article does not give particulars of the study, such as how much neonicotinoid substance the pollen used in the study was given as PPM? and pollen collected in the field in normal agriculture settings, how much neonicotinoid as a ppm is there?

It may be a great study giving us more answers, but may not be conclusive at all in the problems with bee survivability that many are experiencing. It may be giving answers, but more questions as well. I agree with Jerry Bromenshenk and Colin Henderson that there are still unanswered questions on how much the findings in this study matters.