Hybrid View

Default Supering at the almonds

do some of you do it, i ask because this year i took very strong hives to the almonds 16-18 framers and i am afraid they are going to swarm. I'm planning on splitting them after the almonds should i super them now. thanks

Default Re: Supering at the almonds

I know that the blooms get a fungicide spray while their blooming and I've heard the honey is bitter.

My two cents.

I was putting feeders on Tuesday. Bees were flying well and bringing in lots of pollen, but there was very little nectar shakeout where I was in the Chico area.That orchard actually had very little in bloom yet.I am always more concerned with keeping feed in the hives than anything else. I know some beeks who will get some foundation drawn on almond nectar if it is one of THOSE years.

Yes some years there is a big nectar flow and some hives will swarm before you get them home.The way i deal with those is not look up at the trees.

Loggermike, Do you feed 2:1 surup while they are in the almonds?

I think most who super are getting ready to pull off a split (triple deep) or making it easier to shake bees (western and excluder, smoke bees up).

Watch the night time lows and make sure strong hives full of bees, don't move more brood than the bees can cover if it gets cold, you will probably be OK.

The reason most don't do it is extra equipment, less hives on truck moving/out of town. Just easier logistically to start splitting once they are out of the almonds

>Do you feed 2:1 surup while they are in the almonds? <

I am feeding Prosweet 77 cut 10% with water. Liquid sugar is actually cheaper right now.

>The reason most don't do it is extra equipment, less hives on truck moving/out of town. Just easier logistically to start splitting once they are out of the almonds <

Exactly. Mine get a super and excluder as soon as they get home. Then I shake bees when I need them.

The question is probaly awnsered by ur situation is the amount of extra freight cost of supers cheaper than buying hfcs or sugar when u get them back to where ur going is the bloom still early. If not do u feel to dig through a hive every 12 and cut cells to keep cells cut out. Personaly it is worth it because two brood and 3 of honey is 125 dollars but u cant seem to make the honey. It all about situation