Hybrid View

Default research eating bee larvae and pupua for tumor reduction and anti-aging

It looks like eating larvae or pupua can have a huge effect on tumors and other things. Worker, drone, and queen all seem to have the same effect.
    Nathan

http://www.apimondia.com/congresses/2001/Papers/294.pdf

Default Re: research eating bee larvae and pupua for tumor reduction and anti-aging

I have eaten exotic foods before but bugs are not one of them. And I'm not sure I'll get brave enough to prepare and eat them either. Here's a recipe you could try. Let me know what it tastes like. http://edibug.wordpress.com/2011/05/...e-lt-sandwich/

Default Re: research eating bee larvae and pupua for tumor reduction and anti-aging

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    I have eaten exotic foods before but bugs are not one of them.
    Au contraire! Virtually everyone has eaten insects, or parts of insects.

The FDA has even established standards for what is unacceptable! (Although they don't like to admit it, specifying what is unacceptable also sets the bar for what is acceptable.)

Here is the document listing "filth" standards for hundreds of foods:
    http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomp.../ucm056174.htm

Just as an example, here is the standard for wheat flour:
    WHEAT FLOUR Insect filth
    (AOAC 972.32)
    Average of 75 or more insect fragments per 50 grams
    Rodent filth
    (AOAC 972.32)
    Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams
    DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta.

Curiously, honey is not on the FDA list linked above!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

My friend Bob always says about shrimp, "I don't eat bugs!"
    Deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

I'd like to try the recipe but I'm wondering if you render the larvae from the bees wax or just cook it all together. Ok I'm talking big, not sure if I'll actually get brave enough to try it. If I do I'll let you know. :-)