Hybrid View

Default Slotted bottom bars. What are they for?

Sorry- I had this going in a different thread and then realized this is where I should have asked.

As I stated in another current thread, I was given a lot of unassembled/unused wood frames. The bottom bars are what I think is called a slotted bottom bar. I don't plan on using these because I will be using plasticell foundation, and I am guessing the foundation would just fall right through the bottom bar. The top bars are the wedge style. What do/did beekeepers use this kind of bottom bar for? Since I was given about 240 of them, should I try to sell them? Thanks, juzzerbee.

Default Re: Slotted bottom bars. What are they for?

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    What do/did beekeepers use this kind of bottom bar for? .
    Some folks use them with wired/hook wax foundation. It makes it a little easier to install without damaging the wax foundation.
    You could still use them. Assemble your frames, remove the wedge, lay your plasticell in place and put staples or brads through the foundation, at its top into the wood behind (through the plastic into the nonwedged side)
    Does that make any sense?
    You can also put a staple/brad through the bottom bar just beneath the foundation to keep it from falling through. It'll be cheaper than buying new frames.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I believe the slot allowed for greater manufacturing tolerances for the length of the foundation. If the foundation was a little long, it would still work.

Crazy Roland

When I take solid bottoms and run them through the table saw they make slotted bottom bars. Just put a staple in them.