Hybrid View

Default Slotted bottom bars.

As I stated in another current thread, I was given a lot of unassembled/unused wood frames. The bottom bars are what I think is called a slotted bottom bar. I don't plan on using these because I will be using plasticell foundation, and i am guessing the foundation would just fall right through the bottom bar. The top bars are the wedge style. What do/did beekeepers use this kind of bottom bar for? Thanks, juzzerbee.

Default Re: Slotted bottom bars.

many use these for wired wax foundation because they work better than the grooved when the wires stick out too far/ are cut poorly.

When I use crimp wire with hooks foundation I use only split bottom bars. Much easier to install the foundation. Plus if the foundation is a bit long it wont bind like it would with grooved bottom bars cause the foundation to bow.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I'm with Michael. That's all I use. I also embed wires in my foundation. I stopped using plastic a long time ago.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I just tap a small tack horizontally through the split bottom bar. It pinches the foundation so it doesn't fall out for some of my grooved bottom bar frames have been in medium supers for decades without failure. No need to waste your perfectly good free frames.