Hybrid View

Default How do cut out queen cells from plastic foundation?

Just wondering because the push for plastic foundation hoe I would be able to remove multiple G cells from the frame or do they just go to waste? This is a newbee here wondering. Thanks
    Rick Kumer

Default Re: How do cut out queen cells from plastic foundation?

I dont belive they are removable.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

For me, that is the big downside to PF's. What I do is just move the entire frame with QC(s) into a nuc, leaving at least one QC in the mother hive and at least one per nuc. IF I have time, I'll check frequently on those w/ multple QC's to try and catch a newly-emerged queen before she kills the others in their cells. If I do catch them, I'll remove them to another nuc. Should they disappear during mating or otherwise fail to mate properly, they can always be re-combined. -js

I saw a thread mid to late last summer that basically said you don't. the cell is damaged when separated from the plastic.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Last year I put a frame of brood above a cloakboard to pull nurse bees up,put in the graft next day. they started them but tore them down, sure enough I had moved the Queen up. I found her and moved her back downI waited a few days before grafting again, I pulled the frame of brood up and there was 17 Q cells started. I left them till they were caped then made little push in cages 1inch by 2inch by 3/4 deep out of # 8. It worked good, this year I hope to try it on swarm cells instead of emergency cells. It is easier to intro a cell to a nuc but a virgin seems to just run in the front door

>Just wondering because the push for plastic foundation hoe I would be able to remove multiple G cells from the frame or do they just go to waste?

I have never found a way. I just use each frame as one queen cell, no matter how many cells are on it and the rest do go to waste... that's a good reason to use foundationless with no wires. They cut out very nicely...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF