Hybrid View

Default Mold on frames???

Hello everyone! This is my first post. My frames where in storage all winter and I went to get organized and I have mold! Now, it's not a lot of mold, it looks like some old pollen cells and some spots on the wood frame. My questions is can I just clean it ( brush / scrap it off ), or do I just give them a quick wipe and let the bees clean them of do I need new frames?
    Thanks

Default Re: Mold on frames???

Are they empty frames or do they have foundation or comb?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Hair dryer (...on high but not too close to the comb as to melt the wax)
    Disclaimer: I've never been a bee.

All the frames have plastic foundation and, some of those have comb. Some foundations have a little mold in a few cells that look to have a little pollen. The frames with comb have a bit more mold I guess due to more "product" to get moldy, all be it still just a few cells.
    With regards to the hair dryer, are you saying just dry the mold out and that's good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine ocean Parker View Post
    All the frames have plastic foundation and, some of those have comb. Some foundations have a little mold in a few cells that look to have a little pollen. The frames with comb have a bit more mold I guess due to more "product" to get moldy, all be it still just a few cells.
    With regards to the hair dryer, are you saying just dry the mold out and that's good enough?
    Yes. Many would say even that is not necessary for the light colored mold (that looks like a fine dusting), suggesting the bees will clean it up. I just happened to notice that a hairdryer cleans it us very well.
    Disclaimer: I've never been a bee.

I haven't used plastic frames but would be concerned about heating the frame causing warping. I have however seen the bees tear into mold on a frame and clean it up in less than an hour. If you want you can freeze the frame then give it to them. That's what I'd do if I was concerned.

I don't use anything plastic in beekeeping, unless absolutely necessary. All those old water bottles sold by the millions...did you ever wonder why the government mandated a change from one type of plastic to another a number of years ago? Anyway, with that said, a little mold on my frames is not such a big deal...my bees clean it up good as new. If it is way moldy and I don't want the bees wasting time cleaning up junk, then I just change out the wax/foundation. And, great point by delber....I have experienced warping of plastic foundation years ago. I bought some used equipment and decided to melt the wax off the frames in a solar melter before I tossed the frames/foundation out in the trash....they warped like bacon on a grill.

Mist them with a weak bleach solution, let them dry and put them in the hive. Bees will clean them and you'll knock down a lot of pathogens, if they are present.