Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

netting for transporting nucs

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  BMAC 
#1 ·
I have a long drive to pick up my nucs. I was looking for ideas on keeping the bees in the proper place. Im anxious to get them, just not inside my truck while Im driving.

#5 ·
Gas up then load up as the sun goes down. No nets needed just make sure the hives are secure from tipping over and the lids wont blow off. Set them off early the next morning before they begin flying. Beekeepers can be nocturnal bees arent. ;)

#8 ·
Our local 99cent store has laundry bags made of netting. I have used then to transport nucs inside my vehicle. The netting looks a bit course, but it is enough to keep the bees in. They are a little short so I use two-one over each end, overlapping in the middle. The ones I bought have a drawstring closure.

Another hint if your nucs are cardboard or plastic with ventilation holes is to use easily removable 2" blue painters tape around where the lid meets the box to reduce escapees.

#10 ·
You can buy tulle at a cloth store cheap. A few yards probably will not even cost a couple of bucks.

I only wrap nucs up in the car if my wife is with me because she complains about them buzzing around and pooping on the windows. Otherwise I just let them buzz and wash the poop off when I get where I am going. My Beagle goes with me on the GA trip every year and she is always a neurotic mess on the way back because the bees start flying around the truck. When they bump the side windows I just let them out. Power windows are great for that.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.