Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Power for electric embedder (home made)

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  brazosdog02 
#1 ·
Id like to make one, and my exhaustive search has not turned up anything that seems to work AND be reliable AND work for a long time.

I tried making one out of a computer power supply, but it will not turn on when wires are shorted across the 5 or 12 v terminals, so, I guess that's out. Id like something that doesnt run off of a battery. Any ideas? I just need the power part, I can build the embedding portion.

#4 ·
some of teh newer "fancy" chargers, while cheap from a monetary standpoint, are built with circuitry to detect a "dead" battery. they will read a short across the wire you're imbedding as a bad battery and fail to provide the desired current. The older style transformer type with an analog needle guage don't seem to have this problem. They are still rather affordable at around $20 or so.

#6 ·
You could buy this power supply from WT Kelley: $46
https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333233313335&grouped=1

or just the transformer itself: $18
https://kelleybees.com/Products/Detail/?id=3336333233313335&grouped=1

or just buy a 12 volt 2 amp transformer locally and wire it yourself.

Note that computer power supplies often have a have a circuit to shut themselves down in an "abnormal" situation. You may have to fool that system by placing a small permanent load across the correct wires. You will have to get that info elsewhere. :D

EDIT: both links above go to the same place. Click one of them, and then choose one of the dropdown options to see the various choices.

#8 · (Edited)
18 volts is not likely to shock you. 24 volt transformers are often used for underground lawn sprinkler valves, and I think that use that is pretty safe. I would keep my hands dry, though.

Typically, the secondary (low voltage) side of a transformer is not grounded, essentially it is an isolated circuit. In such a transformer, the current needs to go back to the other pole of the transformer to complete the circuit, and not to ground. However, current from the primary (high voltage) side of the transformer will be happy to go through you to ground. :eek:

The wire you are embedding may heat up faster than it would at 12 volts, though. Personally, I would use the transformer you already have. I also have no problem drinking tap water, but some people will tell you that is hazardous to your health ... :D

#11 ·
24V sprinkler clock transformer works well but is on the powerful side. Any old landscaper will have a few extras.

#15 ·
If you have an old electric train set the power supply from that should work and you can adjust the output as needed, should be able to find one at a garage sale for dirt cheep.
Just bought TWO on ebay for 6 bucks. Probably should have tried the doorbell transformer first. The train transformers are OLD...which may be a good thing if they are beefier. Ill build my embedder using a 1x2 or something and some copper weatherstripping.

Im just worried about burning them out. I toasted 2 AC adaptors so far, and a power supply from a PC I think. Anyway, im not trying that anymore. I don't mind ruining them because they were wasting space anyway, but I hope the train transformer will hold up.

#17 ·
Well, the fact is I tested those out on a piece of copper wire that was a little bigger than what we use for wiring frames, and it was a longer piece. I guess its possible that frame wire would not burn them out as fast. The ones I tested lasted for about 3 seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.