Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do they move them or not?

Did it produce a queen? Queens get thru excluders all the time.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Interesting she went up there, laid one egg and went back down?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

1. no the thing is i had capped queen cells up there she would of destroyed them
    2. also no eggs in the frames above the excluder
    3. i found the queen below laying away
    so only explanation was that a bee had moved an egg up there

YAY!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly bees View Post
    1. no the thing is i had capped queen cells up there she would of destroyed them
    2. also no eggs in the frames above the excluder
    3. i found the queen below laying away
    so only explanation was that a bee had moved an egg up there
    Maybe. Or maybe something we haven't thought of yet.

Like I asked before, did it make a queen? Or did you answer this already? W/ Number 1?

W/ a healthy laying queen, in other words plenty of queen pheromone, and cells being finished, why would a bee move an egg thru an excluder and into a queen cup? Was there open and capped brood down below?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Maybe. Or maybe something we haven't thought of yet.

Like I asked before, did it make a queen? Or did you answer this already? W/ Number 1?

W/ a healthy laying queen, in other words plenty of queen pheromone, and cells being finished, why would a bee move an egg thru an excluder and into a queen cup? Was there open and capped brood down below?
    no i had destroyed it should of let it be and see what would of happend
    have no idea why the would move an egg up there
    abd yes there was a laying queen below with capped and uncapped brood

Since Heavenly bees was glad to catch the new cell being worked, one would assume it was destroyed. Number 1 says the queen would have destroyed the finished cells if she was among them. Not sure I follow the reasoning behind the question? Number 3 says there was a happy laying queen below. Why would they do such a thing? Wouldn't it be awesome if bees could talk!! Clueless here? Defies what we think we know. All the better reason to question what we believe to be true............

This question is more interesting than it used to be.

What environmental forces would pressure a colony to move an egg? Shouldn't we expect to see a number of eggs moved and not just one? Also, if something was going on which made the colony move eggs, would one expect to see modified cells? Or supercedure or swarm cell cups built on combs in honey supers?

interesting point

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Since Heavenly bees was glad to catch the new cell being worked, one would assume it was destroyed. Number 1 says the queen would have destroyed the finished cells if she was among them. Not sure I follow the reasoning behind the question? Number 3 says there was a happy laying queen below. Why would they do such a thing? Wouldn't it be awesome if bees could talk!! Clueless here? Defies what we think we know. All the better reason to question what we believe to be true............
    What about the idea that a worker bee laid that egg and it was actually a drone. We did lose some important info since it was destroyed by the beekeeper. Coulda been a drone larva in a queen cup.

How was it oriented?

the egg?

No, I meant the cell. But, since you mention it, yes. I thought you said it was a larvae, not an egg. Did I misunderstand that?

hahaha got us thinking. Good points sqk!

it was a started cell so it had fresh wax on the end of the jzbz plastic cell it was a larvae that had ample royal jelly the cell was faced down wards becase it was a queen cell from last year that i placed

who knows could of been laid there by a worker

I have no real doubt that nurse/house bees can relocate larva, though I have strong doubts about their propensity to exercise that ability. Of course, eggs are cemented to the bottoms of the cell they were laid in - making their relocation problematic, to say the least. Additionally, those same nurse bees can modify any worker cell into a queen cell in a few minutes, and often do, so why would they develop a relocation talent? Or, why would they relocate larvae to proper queen cells, which they'd also need to construct.

My reluctance to speak in absolutes about any of natures creatures, plant or animal, comes from the experience that they have an uncanny way of making me into a liar.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I don't think moving an egg is an issue since they hatch in two days. No reason to move them. No reason why you would think they move a larva to a cell cup. Conserving time or resources? Why would they develop the talent is the question that started the thread. Why did the bee without hesitation remove the larva from the grafting tool and place it back in a cell. The action was obviously a natural response. Was it a trait specific to a race? My bees are mutts. Is it a defense in response to disaster such as an attack by outside forces damaging the nest, saving the young as ants do? Could be? But one thing is fact. They can and will move larva. The question is, to what extent will they use the ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Why did the bee without hesitation remove the larva from the grafting tool and place it back in a cell. The action was obviously a natural response.
    Was it a House Cleaning activity?

Why was that bee on the comb to begin with? I hope that doesn't seem to critical a question. I would think that someone grafting larvae would keep bees away to make things easier to do ones work. Obviously conditions vary.

With today's camera technology and some observation hives kept at swarm conditions this should be a pretty easy question to answer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast