Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do they move them or not?

You might think so keeper. We shall see.

I would think it a bit more than a cleaning activity sqkcrk or wouldn't seem like any kind of cleaning activity I can think of, you?

It was a very nice, warm sunny day outside and sunlight is the best for vision. I had shaken most of the bees from the frame but a handful at best of nurse bees remained. No bother and nothing unusual. Can you think of a better place to be than out among the bees doing your thing? Pretty peaceful place to spend the day I think.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Mark
    The first queen "I" raised was a capped cell in the second honey super with a small patch of brood (not more than 100 worker capped brood)

Now while we are thinking (dang that is hard on me) have any of youzs guys ever seen a queen lay an egg in a "cup"
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

...a few thoughts...

1. A lot of this has been discussed before: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...en-Cells/page2

2. It isn't unusual to find a queen has moved through/past an excluder to lay drones or queen cells....the comb in the brood nest is often built up with cocoons, and it is hard for the bees to reshape into drone or queen cells.

3. I have a video (taken by Dee Lusby when she was doing the thelytoky study with the Tucson lab) of workers laying in queen cups.

4. I do have a copy of the Mark Winston study that claims to have shown the queen moved cells. Just about to go out for supper, but will take a closer look at it. It seemed that he used the age of the queen cell larvae to show that it wasn't from a laying worker, but I was reading it on the airplane, and my battery died ...this was with AHB. Winston was convinced, and put it in his book (1991) that "workers can and do move a small number of fertilized eggs or very young larvae ..."

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Yes bizzybee, it is all fun Pretty neat when it kinda starts to brainstorm.
    Yes, the second shooter question open, but we do know now that the earth is not flat as once thought LOL
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    You might think so keeper. We shall see.

I would think it a bit more than a cleaning activity sqkcrk or wouldn't seem like any kind of cleaning activity I can think of, you?

It was a very nice, warm sunny day outside and sunlight is the best for vision. I had shaken most of the bees from the frame but a handful at best of nurse bees remained. No bother and nothing unusual. Can you think of a better place to be than out among the bees doing your thing? Pretty peaceful place to spend the day I think.
    Brush bees from the frame w/ a bee brush. Shaking can be harmful. Grafting in a grafting shed. Though I have done so on the hood of a truck too.

hnyman, in a cup or while wearing a cup?

What about the fake Moon Landing Theory?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Brush bees from the frame w/ a bee brush. Shaking can be harmful. Grafting in a grafting shed. Though I have done so on the hood of a truck too.

What about the fake Moon Landing Theory?

who killed Kennedy ?

Here is the Winston paper. In order for these queens to come from worker laid eggs, it seems to me that they would have had to start laying in the queen cups within a couple of days. It is hard to figure out what actually happened here, but if workers do move eggs/larvae, it would be nice to have actual footage...then there would be no doubt.
    deknow
    http://beeuntoothers.com/Removing%20AHB%20Queen.pdf
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Sure nuff Rick! Ya just gotta give these ole beeks something to think about. Something there are no definitive answers for and make em wake up from their slumber and boredom. Answering the same old newbee questions that have been asked a thousand times over easily with their eyes closed and both hands behind their backs. Poor ole Honeyman coming outta hibernation up there....... I can smell smoke coming off his gears!! Hope he don't hurt himself!! Carry on boys n girls. Enjoying the exchange and links!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123