Hybrid View

Default Do they move them or not?

I have seen the argument a few times but never saw that a conclusion was reached that bees will relocate larva to queen cells in the hive. I personally can't say that they do or don't. What I do know is that while grafting one day, I lifted a larva from a cell while grafting at the hive and hesitated slightly as I cleared the cell for a bee passing by. She noticed the larva on my tool and wasted no time plucking from my tool and placing it back in the cell. I did peck her on the head for being a pain in my tail by the way.

What say ye wise and knowing beeks.............
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default Re: Do they move them or not?

I believe they will move them if need be. People also claim to get drone brood above an excluder, which could be attributed to laying workers or drone eggs/larva being moved past the excluder by worker bees and deposited in more drone friendly locations.

what about Cell Phone Towers causing CCD?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Are you saying the voices in their heads from cell phones are altering their behavior?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Answer a question with a question; why would they? What circumstances would trigger that behavior? JMO, but I see a big difference between returning a larvae that "fell" out of a cell (so to speak) than selecting one to move to a cell (supecedure I'm assuming) to raise a queen.
    Rick

Can think of several reasons why they may? There has been argument that no they can't or no they won't for some reason. From what I saw, seems they certainly can easily. When time comes to swarm, who decides? And who puts the larva in the cups?

Or, how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know???

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    Answer a question with a question; why would they? What circumstances would trigger that behavior? JMO, but I see a big difference between returning a larvae that "fell" out of a cell (so to speak) than selecting one to move to a cell (supecedure I'm assuming) to raise a queen.
    Rick
    so are you saying there is no question that bees will move larva. and that the only thing in question is why?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.