Hybrid View

Default Do they move them or not?

I have seen the argument a few times but never saw that a conclusion was reached that bees will relocate larva to queen cells in the hive. I personally can't say that they do or don't. What I do know is that while grafting one day, I lifted a larva from a cell while grafting at the hive and hesitated slightly as I cleared the cell for a bee passing by. She noticed the larva on my tool and wasted no time plucking from my tool and placing it back in the cell. I did peck her on the head for being a pain in my tail by the way.

What say ye wise and knowing beeks.............
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default Re: Do they move them or not?

I believe they will move them if need be. People also claim to get drone brood above an excluder, which could be attributed to laying workers or drone eggs/larva being moved past the excluder by worker bees and deposited in more drone friendly locations.

what about Cell Phone Towers causing CCD?
    "Beekeeping. It's a journey, not a destination." Mark Berninghausen

Are you saying the voices in their heads from cell phones are altering their behavior?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Answer a question with a question; why would they? What circumstances would trigger that behavior? JMO, but I see a big difference between returning a larvae that "fell" out of a cell (so to speak) than selecting one to move to a cell (supecedure I'm assuming) to raise a queen.
    Rick

Can think of several reasons why they may? There has been argument that no they can't or no they won't for some reason. From what I saw, seems they certainly can easily. When time comes to swarm, who decides? And who puts the larva in the cups?

Or, how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The world may never know???

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    Answer a question with a question; why would they? What circumstances would trigger that behavior? JMO, but I see a big difference between returning a larvae that "fell" out of a cell (so to speak) than selecting one to move to a cell (supecedure I'm assuming) to raise a queen.
    Rick
    so are you saying there is no question that bees will move larva. and that the only thing in question is why?
    Significant Minority vs Insignificant Majority, 20% of causes produce 80% of the effects.