Default newbee spliting a little help

new bee keeper from Texas wanted to say hello to all and had a question. I attempted my first hive split yesterday Feb 23. I opened up my hive (2deeps and one honey super) and was surprised by what i saw. I pulled the honey super off and it was full of bees, I was expecting low numbers but they were everywhere. I saw lots of honey most frames were full. As i separated the hive i noticed larvae on the top of the frames, it appears i destroyed them when i lifted them apart. i am unsure if they were queen cells or drone cells. I found lots of capped brood but could not locate the queen or fresh eggs, those suckers are tiny I moved two frames of capped brood, one empty two honey and pollen to a 5 frame nuc and closed it up for 24 hrs. I am not sure if i accidentally got the queen or not. The large hive is crazy busy at the entrance but no loud buzzing when i take the cover off. I want the nuc bees to raise their own queen but I'm not sure how long to wait to see if that's happening. Any ideas when i should recheck? also there were what i would consider drone clumps on the bottom of the frames maybe the size of a ping pong ball but no queen cells ( to my knowledge) the bottom body was mostly empty, few bees some pollen and drawn comb I rotated the bodies and put the action body on the bottom, would this cause craziness at the entrance? my hope was the bees would go back up. any ideas
    Last edited by Beehappytx; 02-24-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Default Re: newbee spliting a little help

l use a flashlight to look for eggs and young larvae. the hatched larvae should look like a tiny c. if the larvae you used is too old then they can not make a queen from it. get a marking kit from walmart. they all have them but you will have trouble finding someone who knows where they are. they are latex so it is not as invasive as the markers you get at the bee supply houses and way cheaper. get something to sit on, take a frame out and slowly look for the queen with a marker in reach. prime the marker so the paint is flowing. lf you look away it may take you a while to find the queen again. l had a hive open today and it had fresh eggs and young brood in it but l never saw the marked queen but she was there but running. l did not have a flashlight so l could not look to see if she was down in the hive

If you check back in four days and find eggs, you have a queen...
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When I make spliits I usually put the queen with the split and let the hive make a new queen. I also usually find the queen on a frame with eggs. Once you find a frame with eggs start looking for her real hard. If she is not on that one she is usually on the frame before or after that one. Lets just say that she is close by.