Thread: Dying hive???

Default Dying hive???

This is my first year wintering bees. Checked my hives last week, 1st time this winter. In 1 hive, bees were all huddled at the top of the top deep(I assume this is clustering). They really ate the sugar I added to this hive in fall.

The other hive, not so good. Saw many dead bees(30-40 on top bars) and hardly any buzzing. They did not eat much if any of the granulated sugar that I placed in there in Fall to help with supplimental food to get through the winter. It also appears as if there is quite a bit of bee diahrrea(is it called nosema???). At this point is there any preventative or helpful things that I can do to try and limp this hive through the rest of the winter? Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Dying hive???

Sounds like they are pretty well done for. Was there a cluster of any size at all? Don't let the good one starve now! Make sure they don't run out of sugar. With any luck, you may split this one to refill the other equipment.

It sounds kind of like one of my hives , it is very wet inside , it seems they have a hard time cleaning out the dead ones and don't seem to want to go down thru the bottom.

I gave them a top entrance last week , and they were out for cleansing flights today , almost back to normal.

You could try that , if they don't already have a top entrance.

Pretty sure they were not in a cluster at all during the winter but I could be wrong, hopefully!!!!! The sugar was was slightly "crusted" over so I cracked it open with my hive tool to make it a bit easier for the little critters to access it if they wanted to. I just put in my order for more packages today for this season, which included a replacement package for this. "failing" hive. Hopefully the hive will pull through or at least be part of a combine(I agree with you, Vance G).

jwbee-I have a top entrance in the hive, in the inner cover, unfortunately, they just never did what they wee, "expected" to do. I am starting to think the over abundance of shade versus sunlight I "set them up with" had a big part to do with their minimal honey stores and colony building during the past season. Kinda crummy feeling for a beekeeper when he feels like he was part of the problem. Live and learn is part of it, but still, whenever a single bee of mine dies.....I feel most responsible and guilty. Anyway.......thanks, juzzerbee