Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: young newbee

Default Re: young newbee

and only today did I see my first non-bee critter, and I think it was a wasp (looked like a yellowjacket until I really got good look at the face) and it was just eating a dead bee under the hive, so I let it be.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates

Good to hear you enjoying the windows. It surely is a perfect way to learn something about bees.

Winter is coming and you should begin preparations. I suggest feeding pollen patties and feed small amounts, so they finish the third box, buildup stores and produce fat winter bees.

Think about and prepare for insulation, wind protection and how to keep them dry. A protected hive, lots of stores and healthy fatty bees is what they need now. Winters can be hard to bees and now is the time for preparations.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2013 at 01:08 PM.

She had a great first season, and is planning on splitting her hive next summer (if it survives winter). She completed a workbook for kids, which was a fantastic resource:

http://www.otago.ac.nz/genetics/otago038245.pdf

She also took a beginner beekeeping course throught the local community college, and I sat in with her. Here is a page from her 'notes':

image.jpg

We would absolutely recommend working with the smaller Warre hives. It was a great way to focus on the basics of bee behaviour and observation, without the overwhelming equipment/manipulation issues of Langs. Then, you have the choice of keeping it simple or adding in equipment/manipulations as you gain confidence. WINDOWS = LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES. Can't emphasize that enough. Getting tucked away for winter:

Attachment 7944

Best of luck heading into winter, fellow northern hemisphere beeks. See you next year!
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Thank you for all the updates! I love reading about what your daughter is learning!! This is my first year as well, and have been involving my young boys (5 & 2) as much as possible. The five year old took some comb to school for show and tell, along with a replica bee toy.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345