Thread: Dead Warre

Default Dead Warre

Unfortunately after our first year, the girls didn't make it through the winter. They left me with two boxes, one with honey and the other simply comb.
    Any reccs of what to do now? I've ordered a new colony, and had already ordered a second Warre hive and colony, both to be picked up 3/30.
    Can I simply dump the new colony into the old hive? Should I split some frames from the old hive to seed the new one?
    Last, should I bring the dead hive in for the month to avoid moth problems?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Dead Warre

What do you mean by "ordered new colony"? Do you mean you have ordered a package? And a new hive and another package? Or are you getting a working hive?

If you've simply got a Warré "kit" and a couple of packages coming, I know what I would do - I'd take two boxes, put some empty comb, maybe 2-3 bars, in the middle and put a bar with honey on both outsides, this means leaving an empty bar or two between, and use one of these boxes for each new package. Once the boxes are 75%-80% drawn out I'd then nadir a new box under with some bars with old comb if I still had more left. The remaining honey I'd eat.

But others may have different thoughts about this and I would really be interested in hearing what they would have to say!

Fred J.
    cold Wisconsin....

Wax moths will not be problem in an unoccupied hive in Lexington, MA over the next month. If any still exist in the hive they will freeze to death.

Mice, OTOH, will find the bed 'n breakfast irresistable, so make sure your boxes are completely, totally, impenetrably mouse proof.

Enj.

Yes, sorry, meant that I've ordered a couple new packages to install in the old hive and a new one. So your advice is on the mark. I plan to bring the dead hive inside this week and start the transplanting process of honey and comb in preparation for the two new packages (one for the new hive and one for the dead hive).
    Only related question, any tips for how to install bees in a Warre which already has some honey and comb? Same as with an empty Warre hive, more or less?

Got it. I've got the mouse guard still firmly nailed onto the front door of the inn.

Yep, you can put in the new packages just like always. You should have a couple of empty bars and can put the queen cage in the space where one of the bars would be, and remove the empty cage in a few days. Good luck.

This sounds like a great plan. Today I brought in the whole hive and will begin the cleaning/bar and comb-honey movement to seed both hives. To think that the new packages are here at the end of the month...better get a lot of melting between now and then.
    Thanks for your help.

My hive may be unusual but when I opened it up last night to rejigger the bars as recommended I was struck by how many combs were built out diagonal to the bars. Needless to say it was a sticky mess when I was done playing surgeon. I must have spaced the bars wrong?

Do you use wax starter strips?

I paint virgin beeswax on the bars.

Unsufficient. Get real starter strips.

I would use wood strips or wood bevels. I would not wax them. I would never use just a wax bead. And if you just painted wax on the bars with no specific edge for them to draw from, I would have no expectation of any combs landing on the bars...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundat....htm#combguide
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm#guide
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

I've got flat top bars in my Warre with a notch at each end that engage a small nail on either of the rabbeted rails. As a guide that has worked perfectly so far, I've stretched a string between the notches and "painted" the string with melted wax onto what will be the bottom side of the top bar. No cross combs so far!