Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Newbee from Massachusetts

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  WWW 
#1 · (Edited)
Taking my third class of Bee School tonight with the Norfolk County Beekeepers Association..... My kids and I have 2 hives ready to assemble and bees on order for the spring.... Class is incredible and there is such a wealth of information and experience.... This is going to "bee" awesome!

Have been making mead since 2004 and my son thought it about time we had our own hives..... LOL!

#2 ·
Bob....I started 4 hives last Spring. I did the same thing as you by signing up for some bee webinars online. Recommend a few books to you; Beekeeping for Dummies, Backyard Beekeeper, and The Queen Must Die....all on Amazon. Dummies and Backyard are great instructional books and Queen is a great observational book on the life and traits of honeybees. Do you have a local bee association near you? If so, go to a meeting. The biggest piece of advice to you is to make sure you feed your new colonies sugar water all summer long. I made the mistake of stopping the feeding and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't make wax. Walmart sells 25 lb bags of sugar for about $14. This is a good website, but do a search for other blogs and instructional sites. Brushy Mountain (www.brushymountainbeefarm.com) has great instructional videos that cover every topic. Also, on YouTube.com there is a great series called "Honey Bees and Beekeeping". There are seven episodes that are split into 3 or 4 parts. Will you be installing your bee packages into the hives?

You'll find that this is a very addicting hobby and you'll always be praying for a nice day to take a peek into your hives. I think it's great that you are involving your kids in this.

Good Luck.

#3 ·
Thanks! Awesome stuff!

We joined the Norfolk County Beekeepers Association and they have been great! They are currently running a bee school (which we are attending) that will run through April which is when we expect our bees to arrive.... We will be installing our own packages...... Currently have 2 hives that still need to be assembled but that is part of which will be covered in the class tonight.... We will be setting up a build party to take care of that in the next couple of weekends...;- )

I hear you on the wealth of information that is on you tube.... How did we ever get along before the internet!

Thanks again and have a great day!

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.