Default 3 lb vs 4 lb package

Does anyone have opinion on 3 lb vs 4 lb packages? Wondering if it is worth the extra money for the bigger package? Will the 4 lb package build up that much quicker?

Default Re: 3 lb vs 4 lb package

I go with the 4lb packages. With the blackberry bloom starting the third week of June I tend to get a better crop out of the larger package. I usually get my bees the first week of April to replace my winter losses.

I guess it would depend on the price difference. I use 3-pound pkgs of Italians and they build up quick. But there are other factors to consider....are you using drawn comb or new foundation?....are you planning on a particular nectar flow, as Scott J has mentioned? If you are using drawn comb, your new laying queen will start laying immediately and your population will grow quickly. If you are using new foundation, extra bees would be an advantage for making wax and foraging. I started four hives last year with 3-pound packages and by mid-July they were all around 50-60k bees.

Personally, I would just go with the 3-pounders. Use the saved money elsewhere in the hive.

Personaly I would say it depends on your growing season. the shorter it is, the bigger packages will help. more bees to keep that first batch of brood fed and warm.