Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom Extracting

I have been asked to extract other beekeepers honey and was wondering what the going rate was, I have a bigger set up using a 60 frame Cowen set up.
    Any ideas on prices that others are charging?

Default Re: Custom Extracting

I would be interested to hear what you guys settle on for a rate. A fellow beek and I are at the stage that one of needs to purchase an extractor, and we will need a custom extracting deal. Please share details if this does go through.

Luke Willms

I do some extracting for other beekeepers. I take all the wax and 10% of the honey. They need to bring the supers to me and it needs to be at least 20 to make it worth the time.

The few times I did custom extractnig I charged 25 cents per lbs. However that was 4-5 years ago. I have not done any since.

I would charge by the super.....$2.50 or $3.00 each (or what ever)......that way you are sure the boxes are full, otherwise you may extract 45 supers to get a drum. + wax of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyboy View Post
    I have been asked to extract other beekeepers honey and was wondering what the going rate was, I have a bigger set up using a 60 frame Cowen set up.
    Any ideas on prices that others are charging?
    Twentyfive cents per lb and you keep the wax.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by dback View Post
    I would charge by the super.....$2.50 or $3.00 each (or what ever)......that way you are sure the boxes are full, otherwise you may extract 45 supers to get a drum. + wax of course.
    There's very little use for someone paying for extracting/handle empty supers. Anybody who doesn't sort frames before bringing then in for extracting won't be welcome back in the future. Set up expectations.

I am as small time beekeeper with a Dadant 12 frame I charge $1.00 per frame and keep wax and honey that drips in the tank and they furnish buckets. I don't know if that to cheep or to much after all it take time and and upkeep of equipment

Pom

I know a Beek that does custom extracting. You bring supers to him and he will uncap, extract and lightly filter and you can also help with the uncapping (ie. scratch the cappings that didn't get removed by the Cowen). I believe he charges $7.50 - $10.00 per 6-5/8" super and he keeps the cappings and the honey that is with them. He was so busy last year he almost didn't have time to extract his own honey!

Pom you are about right on with that price!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

It all depends if your doing a dozen super or if your doing 100's. I extract for a lot of the guy I sell package to for at least the first few years, to make sure there still wanting to beekeeper and spend the money on the extractor. I charge $.30 a lb and I get the wax with a min. $20 charge per extracting. They supply the buckets or I supply the buckets at a charge.

Now for the 300-400 super guys I charge $.10-.15 a lb depending on how full the supers are and I keep the wax. They supply the barrels or buckets or I supply with a charge.

"depending on how full the supers are"? Who determines that and how? Why don't you simply charge everyone the same no matter what? Wouldn't that be easier and easier to justify w/out having to explain to anyone why you decided to charge them more?

The Beek I know sells buckets if they don't bring there own and he sells bottling buckets, honey gates and jars for the honey. I believe he has a min. charge as well but he does charge the same rate to everyone. It looked like the beeks that brought there supers to him to process had already gone thru and removed the partial frames of honey so they would get full bang for there buck.
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

Cool Re: Custom Extracting

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    "depending on how full the supers are"? Who determines that and how? Why don't you simply charge everyone the same no matter what? Wouldn't that be easier and easier to justify w/out having to explain to anyone why you decided to charge them more?
    Mark, Big difference doing extracting for 1-12 super customer compared to 300-400 super customer. It takes the small guys 2-3 weekends to extract 12 super. Most are grateful to just drop it off and pay the bill upon pick up. The 300-400 super guys, helps keep my extracting crew busy while I'm pulling. It doesn't pay to send the guys home.

I'm sure this all makes sense to you and you are making money, but it seems too complicated to me. But, I'm not doing it, so my perspective isn't the same as yours. Whatever works for ya. Just seems like you are losing money at $.10 to $.15/lb.

I couldn't turn a dime at any of these rates.

Cool Re: Custom Extracting

Mark, its like big farming. You have the equipment, why not use it. It doesn't make you any money just sitting there. If not anything it keeps my guys a job.

I charge 25 cents a lb and I keep the wax. They furnish the buckets. I can extract about 400 to 500 lbs a day with my 20 frame extractor if I push it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Mark, its like big farming. You have the equipment, why not use it. It doesn't make you any money just sitting there. If not anything it keeps my guys a job.
    I understand that quite well. All I am saying is that I am impressed that you can afford to charge such a low rate. Knowing how much can be extracted per man per day that 10 to 15 cents per pound would even pay their wages. Not that I know what you pay them or what the cost of your equipment is. Certainly you have to factor in wear and tear on the equipment, right?

But, as I said, if it works for you. Too bad you aren't in NY State. At those prices I could afford to have you do my extracting.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I charge 25 cents a lb and I keep the wax. They furnish the buckets. I can extract about 400 to 500 lbs a day with my 20 frame extractor if I push it.
    Get another extractor and you will be able to improve on that production average. What are you uncapping with?

The two guys i know that do it charge right around .12-.15 a lb and you keep your own wax. Both do nice jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast