Default What are the typical tasks performed on hives in the spring?

As some may know, I inherited (sort of speak) my first hive when my brother recently bought an old farm. I do not know for sure when the colony was managed last, but I've had to pick the boxes up off the ground, repair and add the screened bottom board and feed them. On our last day above 40 and after the fixes; they seemed to be doing good.

Provided they survive to the next warm spell; what types of maintenance should I be prepared to do? I suspect that I'll be adding more sugar, but should I be prepared to expect problems with mites?
    Zones 6A & 6B

Default Re: What are the typical tasks performed on hives in the spring?

I have limited experience, but I would say you should learn to test for mite load. You should probably also have a treatment on hand just in case the load is high. I have some good links on my website for beekeeping calendars, mite treatment information, and free handbooks that may point you in the right direction. Mostly just stuff I have stumbled upon on the net, written by experienced beekeepers. Good luck and enjoy your bees.
    Natural Beekeeping Information at
    http://georgefamilycrafts.com/

Thanks Al, John; I'll take a look here in a bit- trying to recover from my trip to Walmart. I hate shopping anymore.
    Zones 6A & 6B

most important is to ensure they have plenty of food and give extra room in the spring as they expand. as the weather warms you can see if they have bad combs that can be replaced and moved up for extracting combs. neglected hives usually have bad combs due to mice etc. also a mite treatment should be selected.

I've seen some talk about Apivar and about OAV, even read into them a little bit. There may well even be better treatments that I am unaware of- still learning and hoping to find the right path. This is the point though, where I become a little more nervous and undecided. I'm all for trying to find the most natural solution to a problem, but I also respect the need to be flexible- same thing if I'm sick or hurting. I'll only use meds if I have to.

I do plan on giving them extra room though, as soon as spring rolls in. Comb? Yes, I suspect that may be an issue and I'm building extra frames in the event that some fall apart.
    Zones 6A & 6B

>What are the typical tasks performed on hives in the spring?
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesspring.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the info all. I'm finding the information very helpful.
    Zones 6A & 6B