Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Recommendations for Power Nailer

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeffzhear 
#1 ·
I do not mind putting together hive bodies with screws and drill, but nailing all the frames together by hand is a bit tedious.

I do not have compressed air lines in our garage workshop, so would like to know if there is a good power nailer that is also not too heavy? I have a touch of arthritis these days! Recommendations as to models etc. welcome as I am complete power tool noob.

Regards,
Janet

#3 ·
Look around. Menards and Harbor Freight have sales on little 3 lb compressors all of the time and 18 gauge nailers. I have a total of $60 in mine and it works like a champ. Weighs next to nothing.

Get a nailer that shoots staples or brad nails. I tend to do my frames with 3/4" staples to make them a little stronger. I use brad nails for the stands and bottoms. Staples for the inner covers. Screws for boxes and top covers.

#4 ·
If you are going with Harbor freight take it home and use it. Shoot a string of nails and use the air compressor to blow down your shop. If you get their stuff working well out after 20 minutes it usually holds up for a decent period (I find about half the time I end up replacing it).

#7 · (Edited)
Oops sorry missed that part:eek:

Paslode makes some nice impulse nailers that use fuel cells ( a mixture of butene and propane) and rechargeable batteries. I have two framing nailers I like a lot. They also make a brad nailer. Unfortunately they are not the cheap. I think HD carries the Paslode line.

#11 ·
A 110 dewalt compressor with wheels is 250.00 and they do freaking great..... The paslode trime nailer would work also, but you will find the cost to be prohibitive. Cheaper to buy a compressor and a inexpense nailer... Personaly I use staples instead....

#13 ·
For 50ish bucks I bought a campbell housfeld 1 gal pancake compressor at walmart. I put a new 50 foot blue hose on it.....I turn it on in the unused bedroom with the door shut....I hardly hear it in my living room when I am building frames and watching the flat panel tv. Yes, the hose runs under the door....and it provides air to my stanley bostitch narrow crown stapler, which I have used for years. I use inch and a quarterish narrow crown staples for putting the frames together, and half inch narrow crown staples to attach the wedge.....way fast...Oh, I use titebond III glue on all my frames.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.