Hybrid View

Default Recommendations for Power Nailer

I do not mind putting together hive bodies with screws and drill, but nailing all the frames together by hand is a bit tedious.

I do not have compressed air lines in our garage workshop, so would like to know if there is a good power nailer that is also not too heavy? I have a touch of arthritis these days! Recommendations as to models etc. welcome as I am complete power tool noob.

Regards,
    Janet

Default Re: Recommendations for Power Nailer

I would go with something like this:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=31-83204486-2

I use an 18 gauge air powered brad nailer, with 1 1/4" brads and it does fine, this would be the same except it is electric.

Look around. Menards and Harbor Freight have sales on little 3 lb compressors all of the time and 18 gauge nailers. I have a total of $60 in mine and it works like a champ. Weighs next to nothing.

Get a nailer that shoots staples or brad nails. I tend to do my frames with 3/4" staples to make them a little stronger. I use brad nails for the stands and bottoms. Staples for the inner covers. Screws for boxes and top covers.

If you are going with Harbor freight take it home and use it. Shoot a string of nails and use the air compressor to blow down your shop. If you get their stuff working well out after 20 minutes it usually holds up for a decent period (I find about half the time I end up replacing it).
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I would go with an 18 gauge narrow crown stapler before a brad nailer. They hold better in my opinion.

Not going compressor.