Hybrid View

Question Designing welded hive stand: Seeking input

My husband has agreed to try to make a MIG welded hive stand. The problem is, being beginners ourselves, we're not sure what design elements are needed other than having enough room for 2 full-size hives and a 5-frame nuc. One club member suggested we have enough space next to each hive to place boxes during inspections. Is there anything else that might be useful? How far off the ground? How much weight should the stand be able to take?

Thanks!

Default Re: Designing welded hive stand: Seeking input

Urbanoutlaw,

Interestingly I plan to do the same, hopefully before this summer. I have accumulated some heavy steel wire shelves of the type used in warehouses such as Home depot, etc. They vary in length but average ~ 6 feet long. I run double deeps with mediums for honey supers but intend to start transitioning into all mediums. My plans are that there will be six evenly spaced ~4" long legs with large round washers welded on the bottom to stabilize the legs. i use SBB's on all of my colonies and the wire shelf will permit any V-mites to drop through. I use a cart on casters in my bee yard to work off of when I do inspections. I also have an electric bear fence so I'm not concerned about skunks or raccoon getting around the "low" beehives. I plan to paint all of the metal work stands before putting them into service.

Steve

Having level hives is very important, espcially in a good season as heavy honey supers can bring down a leaner in a hurry. If you are on ground you'll need some type of feet to keep the legs from sinking in, again to the tipping issue. I would want a "platform" or "base" on top of the stand to sit the hive on so it isn't shifting when you work. Our best year running 2 queens units we averaged 200+ lbs of honey/hive, another 70 lbs of equipment, bees and stores. Think about the heights you will be working ie. you are running 2 deeps as many do, a good season has 4 or maybe 5 supers on a normal hive here - not sure about Virginia and think about what height will be easy to pull that top 35lb. super, without a step ladder, in those good years and also still be able to work the brood chambers without being between squat and kneel.

PS - nice job luring your husband in by giving him an excuse to use his welder!!!

What joel said, have partitions to help hold them in place. I like my stands around the 20" tall mark. Being able to level it easily is also a plus. The feet should have a good surface area so they don't sink in too easily as well. Height overall depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'10", the 4th box, if using deeps, the top is at about eye level, the rest are easy to work at that height though.

There's a guy across the hill from me that makes them out of angle iron and rebar for the legs. like 3/4" rebar that is for single hive stands. 18" off the ground. He told me that 18" is the perfect height to keep skunks from eating the bees at night.

I sit mine on 2x4's right on the ground. make little square hive stands 4" off the ground but they are in my front yard. I'll shoot/trap any skunks that are a problem.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

Made from 1.5"x1.5"x.125" steel angle with eye bolts at the bottom of the legs. Set into small concrete footers.

I like my stand about 15 inches high. Works good for me. not a lot of bending can get 2 deeps and 3 medium supers without being too high.

rail: that's a good looking hive stand

ralph3 & billybwf: having had both back and shoulder surgery, 15-18 inches up is too difficult for me to use. I can't lift 35 - 80 # up from shoulder height. But of course that's just a 70+ year old man!

Steve