Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: horizontal hive super location?

I might add - since I practice desert beekeeping; I use corrugated tin wrapped around these hives as a sun shield, at least the ones in the hot desert. The mountain hives have the opposite problem.

Also - I first started with full 48" stud length hives, and now only use a 32" hive. The bees rarely filled the 48" all the way to the end and it simply harbored spiders and other pests. A 32" hive is still the equivalent of 3 eight frame deep boxes and can develop and enormous amount of bees if managed properly. You just super it for more space.

My 48" hives are monsters. They can generate a terrifying amount of bees - they are basically 4 deeps on their side.

Another benefit of a horizontal hive, at least for us rural folk, is that cows cannot kick them over and most people don't recognize them as a bee-hive. Now animals have lifted my lids off a few times, thinking they were a feed trough. You just have to make sure they are secured very well. I use bungie cords and hive straps.

Inner covers - I used to use them, now I use a two or three piece insulated split top cover. Sometimes I uses a feedbag for an innercover. The wooden inner covers didn't work out so well. I do use a piece of burlap as a hive cloth when I work with them - to keep the sections of the hive covered I am not working with. It serves two purposes here - it calms the bees (mine are "survivors" and can be quite testy) and it keeps the hot desert sun off the comb. The comb can melt in seconds and collapse if exposed to full radiant sunlight.

Paul, thanks much for the additional info. Could you elaborate on the problems you had with inner covers? I'm debating how to handle them now, but I have a bias toward simplicity, whenever possible. I do like the idea of keeping the sections I'm not working covered.

Do you worry about water getting into through the cover section seams? I know you're in the desert mostly, but we have a lot of precip both in FL and NY, so I've wondered about water proofing.

Very interesting thread. I went in a somewhat different direction with my horizontal. It's one of those projects that snowballed on me. I've got the basic build done, but I have a few parts yet to make and closeable vent holes in the cover to add. I'm also contemplating a lift assist for the lid like you see on a car hood to hold the lid open. The whole hive is triple ply. 3/4 pine on the inside and outside with 1" foam board core. R value should be about 7. The doubled pine and foam board keeps it rigid across the length and it seals up tight with beveled top edges. Ok my description is horrible I'll go take some pics and try to post when I get back home from practice tonight.

IMG_2776.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2780.jpgIMG_2782.jpgIMG_2777.jpgIMG_2779.jpgIMG_2781.jpg

Ok snapped some quick photos let's see if I can post them quick before I leave.

That's a nice one Mr. C! Almost like a euro style longhive. I tried to keep mine light and simple so I can move them easily. They are designed to fit in the bed of a pick-up truck.

As far as inner covers and seams... I have overlapping lips built into the lids (which also double as a telescoping cover for a regular hive). These lips and the insulation underneath provide enough of a seal that water is not an issue. I also toss a corrugated tin cover across it to divert water away. My latest ones have the tin cover built on to the lid with an overlap across the seam.

We may be desert, but when it rains it RAINS!

Nice pics Mr. C, are you dealing with extreme cold?
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Another way to handle the top cover problem is at this site.
    Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
    Another way to handle the top cover problem is at this site.
    I saw that site in the design phase of the one I built/am building. It gets cold here, but not terribly cold. I wanted a low maintenance hive regardless of construction cost and was trying to avoid having to wrap etc in the fall. It will have four removeable floors under the screen so I can adjust ventilation in different parts of the hive. I found that with open bottoms the queen was abandoning the bottom of my regular hives. Someone mentioned that they saw this with open bottoms and thought it was because of the difficult for the bees to regulate the temp in the bottom because of all the air flow there. I also wanted to make sure there was plenty of room to feed in the top etc. There's enough room in the top to fit a medium 5frame nuc in the top if I wanted to super, but I figure that kind of defeats the purpose of the horizontal. Anyway just some thoughts. I'll post again when it's finally finished and on its stand.

Very interesting thread. My story is that bees actually forced me to go horizontal. That particular colony just refused to grow up... So, I build for them 2x horizontal hive. The idea was that dimensions would be so that normal 1x hardware may be used. So, stand and box have 2x dimensions, inner covers, lids, sticky boards etc - normal 1x. Stand accommodates two 1x slots for sticky board or oil pan. There are two 1x inner covers on top. Box is just box exactly as 2 deeps side by side - it could accommodate 2 supers on the top side by side. The same 1x inner covers would be used. Bottom of the box is screened. I am using the foundationless top bars or normal frames with adapter. The "roof" is actually two overlapping pieces of corrugated metal. Since two identical inner covers, I have the option to work the nest or storage or both. Rhaldridge suggested to make a window in the inner covers for observation - great idea! The entrance is a long slit with tilted landing deck on the long side of the hive. It is approximately 1/3 high from the bottom - I read somewhere that it imitates the crack in the horizontal log, bees often occupy in nature. Nice landing deck is my addition - could not resist. So far, bees love this hive and it just full of bees! I added super last week and there are two frames already filled with nectar and honey. What amused me is that it looks like, bees are much more calm with this setup. Normally,my bees are quite protective (african genes I guess) and I have quite a bit of head bumps... Also, it seems to me that bees are less readily swarm in this hive. Today I did a walk away split and did not see any swarm cells - I am little bit concern if split would be successful.

So, I am in Southern California. For climate control I am using adjustable screened bottoms. Screened hole in the inner cover is also a possibility, but my bees do not like it. As for entrance - my slit works fine to me. I would probably add the top entrance (3/4" hole) with the second super (on top of the first one) if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cerezha; 02-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12