Default Redwood ok for top feeder?

Has anyone used redwood to build hives with? I used it to build a top feeder. When I filled it with water to test for leaks the water turned a slight red tint. Has anyone experienced this and is it ok for the bees?

Default Re: Redwood ok for top feeder?

did you skip using a sealing agent? I used 3 coats of a spar eurathan and then used hot wax to coat all of the syrup contact areas. This might be overkill, but it didn't cost anything (for me this is a hobby and I enjoy spending time tinkering) to do it.

I have many redwood lids. Never had problems with em.

Not yet, I was going to seal with linsead oil and then test again, but didn't get that far yet.

Do you think the linsead oil alone will prevent the red tinting of the water?

Were do you get the hot wax from and how do you apply it?

Since the bees are going to be drinking out of this I don't think the wax is over kill.

Linseed oil just soaks in the wood to preserve. You need something with a hard repellent finish to seal and protect. Spar urethane or some other waterproof hard coating like epoxy.

I did it in what I"m sure is an "unsafe" way. I put chunks of wax in a fairly large (maybe 24 oz) steel can and heated it with a propane torch. I stirred it constantly with a welding rod, becasue thats waht i had right next to me, but any stir stick will work. i had to keep the torch flame pretty far away fro mthe can at first or the wax would smoke a bit. Clearly a double boiler method would be better, but i was i na hurry, and used waht was right by me. Anwyays, once i had about 2/3 of the can full of hot melted wax, I poured some into the feeder. I made my feeder with a center entrnce, so there are two seperate syrup areas to be sealed. Anways, i poured some of teh wax into one of the syrup bins and then rocked it around to cover the bottom and tilted it and twisted to get coverage on all of the sides. I then poured a bit in each corner (one at a time) and held it in position until it cooled. I was making these quickly, and they aren't exactly up to cabinet makers standards as far as the tightness of the joints is concerned. Then repeat on teh second syrup bin and the feeder is good to go. I did two top feeders in the same manner. They are water tight, but we're still cold in MI, so it will be a while before they are tested with syrup in them.

I hope this helps.

EDITED: I forgot to mention that I also used 3-coats of spar eurathane on it. My wax sealing was intend to just seal the corners and cracks, but wax is cheap and I thought it was worhtwhile insurance to use a bunch of it to prevent a leaking mess of syrup all over a hive.
    Last edited by KPeacock; 02-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Seal it with wax or spar urethane. That is, unless you want cedar flavored honey someday.

Peter

Thanks for the info. I am going to give the wax a try as I think it is a safe option and will seal the wood. I will let you know how it goes.