Default Bees in decrepant hive boxes

I got a hive from a man selling his hives last fall and the boxes are not in very good order to say the least. When I was carrying the hive to the truck a bee crawled out of a hole on the corner and greeted my thumb. So my question is, to get rid of this old equipment, can I just split up the whole hive, making nucs for new 8 frames and giving them all a new queen cell once I get my wild hive to make some? Maybe split it up to make 4 or 5 new splits.

Default Re: Bees in decrepant hive boxes

Your choice - make nucs as you proposed, or simply move the frames to new box. If you split it up, you can let them make their own queen cells.

Save those decrepit boxes - you can never have enough spare equipment. Everytime I think I'm gonna throw out an old box, I end up using it for a swarm or some other pressing need.

I see you are both in southern Indiana so when do you anticipate making splits. Soon or wait until several things are in bloom?

why l do with rotten boxes is run them through a table saw and cut off the rotten stuff and glue new pieces on, paint and viola it is like new!

Make splits and buy some queens.

Quote Originally Posted by seamuswildflower View Post
    why l do with rotten boxes is run them through a table saw and cut off the rotten stuff and glue new pieces on, paint and viola it is like new!
    Really?

As easy as it is to cut a board up into a new box and paint it, why would you waste time and effort on a rotten one? How long does the patch hold?

Before you do anything it's always a good idea to either go through if you can find AFB in 3 cells or less or have someone knowlegable go through and make sure they are free of American Foulbrood.

Quote Originally Posted by bmat555 View Post
    I see you are both in southern Indiana so when do you anticipate making splits. Soon or wait until several things are in bloom?
    With 1 to 3 inches of snow forecast for today, it won't be soon! I won't split until I see plenty of drones.

I cut the rotten bottoms off of my deeps, repaint and make them mediums for my supers. Takes minutes.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State