Exclamation normal cleansing flight ?

I have a strong hive that hopefully just went out for a quick cleansing flight this afternoon, i have lots of bee poop on the snow up to 10 feet away from the hive , i have a picture , but i can't get the darn thing on here, i was worried it might be nosema or something. How am i supposed to tell what the heck is going on ?
    I am a little worried because it is one of my better hives : (

Ben

Default Re: normal cleansing flight ?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I don't know if that works or not , the uploader wouldn't let me put it on here, i sent it from my iphone to email ... sometimes i hate computers.

I wouldn;t be able to tell you much about the picture becasue i'm too new to this bee stuff. I think you'll need to adjust your privacy settings in facebook though. i tried to view picture and was met with an error message indicating that the media was not available, or i did not have access to it.

yeah i think you have to log into facebook in order to view it . it's the only way the picture would go on here, i had to put it as a link. I don't know much about Photobucket or how to set one up .

Ben

The only reliable way to determine if you have nosema is to look at a sample with a microscope.

is the color dark and brown, or is it a lighter color and yellowish?

Light in color. I think it was just a cleansing flight ,(HOPE) it was. It's my second year of beekeeping and i don't know what a typical cleansing flight might look like in the snow around a strong hive.

Don't worry, Ben. It is just a normal cleansing flight. Something that look like this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNqrUl9KAM
    After I released the entrance reducer suddenly they all poured out in a hurry and I thought they were swarming. My head just one foot from the hive entrance to video tape them. But in a very fast moment after the release they all went back in a hurry to enter the hive again. It is an incredible scene with all the buzzing noise. If they all went back before the freeze then everything should be fine. So don't worry about it too much. I know how you feel about them the first year. Just relax and hoping for the best since you have given them the best of care already. It is up to them now to survive on. Everything will be o.k. in the Spring time.

Thanks for the encouragement : ) I tend to overreact with problems that the bees might have, i was studying a lot last night on Nosema and other problems . but i think it was just because it was so cold out still, that they flew out and back in so fast that some poop got on the landing and the ground just in front of the hive, unlike when the warm times of the year , i see them going a ways away from the hive to defecate .
    Kinda like don't $hit where you eat : )

Ben

Hi, Ben. If you read up on the bee problems then they will always be there (in your minds.) Not necessarily on your bees but will definitely be here to stay just like us humans with heat attack, obesity, diabetic, and such. That does not mean we all have these disease, right. So don't over react when you see things changing.
    Sometimes I think to build them an outhouse all enclosed like a big cage with hanging toilet tissues so they can poop there. Just a thought that might not work. Last winter after 3 days of rains they also poop outside onto the plastic just above their hive. Cannot hold on any longer in the cold after the rains. Now I see the yellow color feces are normal for them. I would not even play with my minds to think of anything about possible diseases inside my hive. The more we think the more we cannot calm our minds down to see the real Truth of things. I rather have a calm mind to handle everything thrown my way in our daily life.
    Before I am just reacting like you with every little changes either in life or about my bees. Now I just let nature to take its course. I found out the more I mismanage my bee hive the more problems it create for me, or should I say the more problem I create for myself. Ppl here say let the bees be bees. Now I don't go inside their hive anymore. I put a homemade raised window screen on the hive and just sneak a peak when I have the urge just to see how they are expanding. I am happy when I see certain number of bees on the frames. Actually, raising bees is very easy. Get good genetic stocks local to your area. Put them in an ideal location, feed them when need to, cure them when diseased, and let them grow with manage. Enjoy your harvest if there is any or not it is o.k. Over reacting will make the wrong decision or not as ideal. I have done that a lot before. Do things only when needed to. Just relax and enjoy life! Beekeeping is both fun and relaxing if you know how to manage them.