Hybrid View

Default Finding colonies with failed queens, question on re-queening

Going through hives yesterday in SC and came across a good percentage that had sign of failed queen/laying worker. I'm still seeing plenty of bees in most of those hives so it seems the queens failed recently. In situations where hives are overwintered in the south and the queen doesn't get much of a break do you all re-queen annually or bi-annually?

Thanks for your input

Default Re: Finding colonies with failed queens, question on re-queening

I do annually and can tell a differance. Also i found out in the last couple years if the mites get too high of level in the hives that you will start having a bunch of queens die.
    Nick

did you MAQ's in the fall?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    did you MAQ's in the fall?
    Mike- I had to treat at least twice last year, the final was in October with MQS

Quote Originally Posted by papar View Post
    In situations where hives are overwintered in the south and the queen doesn't get much of a break do you all re-queen annually or bi-annually?

Thanks for your input
    We routinely requeen annually knowing full well that MOST of the queens we are replacing have at least another good year in them. The results that I have observed are far fewer drone layers and more bees to work with a year later. If I were buying $20 queens my outlook might be different.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

our Cali and Hawaii queens are $25ish, withwhat do you pay for your queens ?
    our locally supplied queens run from $20 to $35
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    our Cali and Hawaii queens are $25ish, withwhat do you pay for your queens ?
    our locally supplied queens run from $20 to $35
    Cell cups are running about .07 delivered.
    Add in some feed some supplement and a beer at the end of the day you can maybe double that.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

ha ha ha , ya

thats the way to do it.

wish I had the schedule to do the same
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian,

I split late, after my bees come off oranges in CA which is usually early May. I mostly use queens I buy from CA or LA but I also start a hundred or so 5 frame nucs with cells. They tend to make strong singles by the end of the summer and each will make a box of honey in a good year. I'm in North Dakota (that's the Province just south of you!) not too many air miles from you and I'd guess you may get similar results. Don't know if anyone sells cells but they aren't too tough to produce.

Enjoyed your wintering video--pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    We routinely requeen annually knowing full well that MOST of the queens we are replacing have at least another good year in them. The results that I have observed are far fewer drone layers and more bees to work with a year later. If I were buying $20 queens my outlook might be different.
    I plan on beginning to raise queens during the summer to replace last year queens, it will really be my first year attempting this. Buying queens is always a great investment for me but finacially not feasable this year. Just seems that I'm seeing more then average failing queens. I'm wondering if the non existant winter of 2011/12 kept the queen working more then I'm used to seeing??

Thanks for your advice

jim, at what part of the season to you introduce the new queens?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    jim, at what part of the season to you introduce the new queens?
    Mid to late March we are making nucs up with a queen cell. This year perhaps even earlier, we are limited by when we get our bees back out of the Almonds.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Mid to late March we are making nucs up with a queen cell. This year perhaps even earlier, we are limited by when we get our bees back out of the Almonds.
    understood jim. do you then introduce your newly mated queens into production colonies as soon as they are proven?

Quote Originally Posted by papar View Post
    I plan on beginning to raise queens during the summer to replace last year queens, it will really be my first year attempting this. Buying queens is always a great investment for me but finacially not feasable this year. Just seems that I'm seeing more then average failing queens. I'm wondering if the non existant winter of 2011/12 kept the queen working more then I'm used to seeing??

Thanks for your advice
    The guy that you need to pattern your program after is Mike Palmer. He has posted a lot of really good stuff on raising and then wintering (what I call) summer nucs. It takes some learned beekeeping skills but its sure doable. A well mated queen should last two years many will make it a third and I have even heard reports of longer but generally speaking if you get one through a third year you are doing pretty well. You may purchase a well mated queen capable of doing this or you may not and the reason may not necessarily reflect on the breeder as much as the mating conditions. I think, though, that there is pretty good consensus on here that you will have the best luck with locally bred queens preferably from a producer that you know something about. You can even do it yourself with less work than you might imagine. However you decide to do it by all means make every effort to get as many young queens going as possible, they are a really big key to successful beekeeping.

many thanks jim for your replies regarding requeening.