Cool bees in a whiskey barrel

A lady gave me a swarm in a whiskey barrel and I decided to just leave them in there. So I drilled a hole in the back side, and one in the top, then I set a super on top, after a while, they filled the bottom, and moved up and filled the super. Now it is a new year and the queen is a year older and maybe need to be replaced, so how can I get her to come up to the super so I can put a new queen in the barrel. I would like to take a split out of the barrel without tearing it all apart, (before they swarm) because there is a lot of bees in there.

Default Re: bees in a whiskey barrel

do you know the comercial with the punch line "gee i could have had a V-8 juice".. well gee you should have a movable frame hive.

If you have brood in the super, then just set the super on a new base, and add the queen to the new hive. Put another empty super on top of the barrel, and wait for them to fill it again. If the queen in the barrel needs replacing, the bees know what to do.

If you have no brood in the super on the barrel, check out one of the threads about the Hogan Trapout method.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ut-from-a-tree
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...65612-trap-out

You can send your email address to Cleo Hogan (see the second thread) for a copy of his trapout guide.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    do you know the comercial with the punch line "gee i could have had a V-8 juice".. well gee you should have a movable frame hive.
    I bet the beekeeper already had that insight.

i have no intention to hurt the original posters feelings..the coments are for others not to back themselves into a corner.