Default To cold at nite?

I haven't looked in my hive yet but they look really strong from outside. Lots and lots of new fuzzy girls ready for work. The days are pretty warm in the low 60s but we still get down below freezing most nites. Should I wait till the nites are milder?

Default Re: To cold at nite?

I would wait. When you open the hive the first time after winter, you crack loose all the propolis they've used to seal out the winter drafts, which could set them back on the next cold night.

FWIW

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Try to tilt the hive with one hand at the rear. If it's heavy and you either cannot tilt it or it's all your fingers want to handle, they are fine and it's best to leave them alone. If you can easily tilt the hive with one hand, it's time to get some sugar on them so they don't starve out in the next few weeks.

You won't have to take the hive apart in either case. Best to leave a full inspection until you get a warm day later in the spring with now wind unless you thing something is wrong. Lots of bees orienting would make me thing things are fine.

Peter

I too am concerned about opening up my hives because of the cold. Yesterday was about 50 , sunny and calm. I decided to go check for stores and found one colony low even though they looked like they were booming from the outside and were bringing in pollen. This was the lightest hive I had going in to winter and the sugar cake that I had put on them about a month ago was gone. I put a 4 lb sugar cake on them and they almost immediately had it covered with bees. I think this colony might have starved if I had not opened when I did. I guess its like I saw on another post: you have to consider the risk to the rewards.

I think your right, there fine. They stopped taking sugar water but there hammering a red maple behind my hive. There's about 3 out of 5 coming back loaded with pollen . I picked up the back, it isn't light. I gess I better wait a few weeks. Im Just excited to see.

I guess it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. If you are just going o open the lid to check stores then you are more than ok to check. If you are looking to do a full inspection, I will leave that to somebody more local. If they are out foraging then they are probably doing fine.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Keep an eye on their stores at this point. Now that they are bringing in natural pollens they will really start to brood up and will start to go through the stores raising brood. It would not hurt to pop the top and check the top of the frames for capped honey.