Hybrid View

Default Qeustion about making a bottom board for my nuc boxes and dado cut a 3/4" entrance

Can I nail a board to the bottom of a nuc that's a little longer than the box and dado cut a 3/4" hole in the bottom of a nuc box? Do I even need the landing board? Is there a draw back to this idea. I plan on moving them into 10 frame equipment when their filled out enough.

Thank you for your ideas?

Mike

Default Re: Qeustion about making a bottom board for my nuc boxes and dado cut a 3/4" entranc

Easy and effective. While the landing board is nice the bees will figure it out if it's absent. I'd leave it. And it's even easier to just drill a 1" hole in the front but if you have a separate dado tablesaw or router set up then go ahead.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Qeustion about making a bottom board for my nuc boxes and dado cut a 3/4" entranc

few trees have landing boards. Makes you wonder how they survived!
    Old Guy in Alabama

None of my nuc boxes have landing boards, and they work just fine. I just drill a 7/8" entrance hole in the front of the box.

I'm about to make a bunch of nucs, and for the bottom boards I'm going to use 19/32" plywood and attach it with good exterior screws right to the bottom of the nuc boxes, no glue just in case I ever need to pull the bottom board off for some reason. I will seal the edges of the plywood real good with something, don't know exactly what yet, before I paint the outside surfaces. I'll drill a 3/4" hole in the front of the nuc for an entrance. John

If you attach a plywood bottom directly to the box bottom when moving frames ya crush a lot of bees. Add a 3/8-inch spacer to the perimeter of the bottom board. Landing boards collect water and if not tilted a bit it runs into the hive.
    Im really not that serious

Thank you all for your input. This is were I'm at now. Should I shim the bottom? If I had it to do all over I would have shimmed and used an removable entrance reducer. How long can I leave a nuc completely closed up while I'm moving it?

I really like the video. Looks like you can winter small nucs on bigger hives for warmth.

Here's pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/11557...55532450605729