Hybrid View

Default concealing a colony in a shed or garage

Has anyone ever put a hive in a shed, with a tube or something to the outside?

Default Re: concealing a colony in a shed or garage

Take a look here
    http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/war.../message/22110

this guy has put hives in his Atic

I had a friend who kept them in a building with slots cut out for the entrances. It seemed liked the hives never thrived because they did not get that direct morning sun during cooler times that warms the bees up and get's them going. In the spring and the fall it was always 5-10 degrees cooler in that building than outside in the mornings I was there. I'm sure people do it successfully - just a consideration.

I've seen posts on this forum of hive houses in Europe. Pretty neat. You may do a quick search for the thread.

I consider the sun shining on the hives through the winter as a major source of their heat on cold nights. Now the bees being in a shed on a 100 degree July afternoon. that sounds pretty good.

I have read where keeping bees over winter in a cellar was common practice. no idea how well those bees did but from what I can tell it was self induced disease effect that reports on losses looked like exactly what we have now. They didn't have diseases then to kill the bees so they killed them with the beekeeping methods. this is one of the main reasons I don't think that diseases today are the cause of the losses. they are just what is currently being blamed. I seriously wonder if bee losses are due to inadequate keeping methods that have simply never been improved. Losses have been consistent for well over 100 years. the reported causes are the only thing that change.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

> I consider the sun shining on the hives through the winter as a major source of their heat on cold nights.

Hmm, where I live the sun goes away at night.

-- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

You must live south of the equator!

Daniel Y, are you talking about strictly winter losses or losses in general? If winter losses, yes, you can add stress to a colony through an improper way of wintering them, and there are diseases that are propagated by the mites that cause winter loss. In general though, what beekeeping methods are to blame for losses and not disease or mites? John