Default Cycling queen to reduce spring swarming

I found an interesting article here. http://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-...#comment-34632

Normally whenever I hear about swarm prevention it involves moving frames or moving boxes around in order to regulate space and change the bees' opinion about their situation. I've never heard about changing queens to reduce swarming. It seems pretty interesting to me, does anyone else practice this method?

Not trying to start a "my way is better than your way" match, just a curious newbee. I remember at my into to beekeeping class at the Milwaukee-Waukesha club one of the pieces of advice, "There are many ways to reduce swarming. None of them work."

Default Re: Cycling queen to reduce spring swarming

Swarming propensity varies among honeybee colonies. Some very strong colonies will never show swarm preps, while some much weaker colonies will.

We're told to maintain young queens in our colonies to reduce swarming. Hence...

I believe that some swarming is an attempt by that colony to re-queen. Everyone has seen colonies that don't respond to usual swarm control...whatever you feel that is...supering, reversing, splitting, etc. These are the colonies that should be requeened.

I don't know if there's any truth to the "young queens swarm less" idea, quite possibly there is. But I've definitely have read/heard that the "young queen" factor in swarm prevention parlance describes a queen that has never been through pre-summer-solstice build up. So just because your queen was raised last year doesn't make her a "young queen". A young swarm-preventing queen is one that was raised once the days are getting shorter, after June 21st in the northern hemisphere.

I've heard this before that re-queening minimizes swarming but I can't seem to find any research or studies that draw this conclusion. It make sense that some swarming is an attempt to re-queen like Michael points out but does anyone have any links or know of any books that can expound on this?

If not, I'm happy to take Mr. Palmer's word for it.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    but does anyone have any links or know of any books that can expound on this?
    R.O.B. Manley,Honey Farming