Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When to add pollen patty ?

17K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  rbees 
#1 ·
Hi,
It's my first winter as backyard beekeeper in zone 5b. I've read it's good to add a pollen patty at this critical juncture, so bees won't starve. Haven't opened hive all winter - too cold! But can hear them buzzing and have seen cleansing flight activity when visiting the hive (almost daily). When can I think about opening the hive to add a pollen patty or two? Does it have to be a 55 or plus degree day for a quick pollen patty drop? Any tips on how/when to do this is much appreciated. (Fingers crossed). Thanks!

#32 ·
rbee does a bee that emerges instantly become an adult? Are those fuzzy little cuties instantly ready for guard duty or foraging? Nah! They need to grow up first to adulthood. They indeed eat pollen to get that done and do nurse bee duties. after that, they do not eat pollen.

#40 ·
I disagree completely.

First off...they are adults when they emerge.

Second...those bees that overwinter especially in colder climates are two to three months old when the queen begins laying again, well past the "nurse bee" age. They do indeed consume pollen for vitellogenin production.

#34 ·
Adult bees consume pollen in order to convert it to royal jelly and feed brood. But they do not consume pollen for their own needs. Does a newly emerged bee eat some royal jelly out of the brood cells? Probably. Does a new emerged bee eat pollen? Only if they are feeding young. But it's really irrelevant anyway. The point is that the adult bees in the colony are not going to be deprived of nourishment because you didn't feed them pollen, nor are they going to be provided with nourishment if you do feed pollen and we KNOW they will get inadequate nourishment from pollen substitute if they are trying to feed young bees, which they probably won't do much of until they have a supply of pollen. There is no need to give a "pollen" patty because you think they may be running out of stores...

#39 ·
Adult bees consume pollen in order to convert it to royal jelly and feed brood. /QUOTE]

And that is exactly what I expressed in my first post. I will also disagree somewhat with the notion that adult bees do not benefit individually from consuming pollen or in this topic pollen supplements. Vitelogenin even in adult bees is the fountain of youth protein in bees.

#35 ·
MB, All kidding aside the thread has wandered from do I need to feed? Your answer; No. Agree.
Wandered to; When do I feed if for a specific result. Most of the replys.
Sort of like your take on feeding syrup. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but not blindly.
Myself, I didn't like the amount of pollen stored last fall, so trying for sub not too soon and not too late.

#37 ·
>Michael, do you feel pollen patty's are a waste of money or is there a time when you would consider them beneficial?

There are times when I consider feeding REAL pollen beneficial. But that is a far cry from pollen substitute. The most "watered down" I'm willing to do is 50% substitute and 50% real pollen when I really think there is a need and I don't have enough real pollen. And then I feed it dry in an empty hive. About the only times I ever feed pollen are when I see the bees gathering grain dust or saw dust and I think there is a pollen dearth. In the spring when the packages come in there is no pollen dearth. Earlier in the spring there is no pollen dearth, but it's too cold to gather it and not gathering it keeps them from rearing brood too early. Rearing brood too early is my primary cause of losses in the winter. I certainly don't want to encourage the primary cause of my winter losses...

#41 ·
I'm a few hours south west of your county by car Cynthia. I saw the bees bringing in pollen yesterday. Although I could see putting the patties in earlier or not at all ... it makes sense what Vance said about waiting to see the bees bringing in Pollen. Every hive was bringing in Pollen yesterday but the bees practically ignored the open feeders I had out. I'm guessing they are rearing brood right now but if the cold weather keeps up they may not be able to get out to get enough pollen. Based on using the pollen patties as a necessity the cold weather may be making a good case to use them this year. Maybe someone could agree or disagree with my thinking on that? If they are raising brood and then it gets cold for a month is that a good reason to put the pollen patties on?
I too have been reluctant to open the hives but will probably put some pollen pattie mixture up top here in the next little warm day when it is close to 50. If we over stimulate them with too much pollen we will need to keep an eye out for swarm cells when it warms up. I have less experience than others that have posted but I think I am giving an ok response to your question. I hope so. I wish you luck. :D:popcorn:

#42 ·
Hey Jeff, I wish I was getting pollen! Ground is still frozen here. I would start feeding patties for sure if you have pollen coming in. It will suppliment what the bees bring in and chances are in 21 days when the bees really need it, more will be available. Just don't let them run out of patty once you start feeding it. It is supposed to be close to 60 on Saturday here and I am really looking forward to a good look at my bees! Not going to unwrap to pull frames but would sure like to look. Maybe I will do a sample.

#44 · (Edited)
I mixed the Pollen Patty mixture and put it in a coffee can and then into the fridge. Is that an ok way to store it for a a week or do I have to go ahead and make the patties and freeze them?
The instructions said to mix it and then it sit overnight. I mixed it last night. Last year I put it in cupcake wrappers. That worked well.
Jeff

#45 ·
>And that is exactly what I expressed in my first post. I will also disagree somewhat with the notion that adult bees do not benefit individually from consuming pollen or in this topic pollen supplements. Vitelogenin even in adult bees is the fountain of youth protein in bees.[/QUOTE]

Rbees, very well said, this is why the pollen sub feeders have on avg a much lower winter loss rate.

#47 ·
this is why the pollen sub feeders have on avg a much lower winter loss rate.
In the age of two strains of mites...and the pathogens they vector...two tyes of nosema, hive beetles and who knows what that will come down the pipe. Our girls need every advantage they can get.

I'm not joking here, but ever since I've started feeding pollen supplements starting late January, my winter losses are for all practical purpose at pre-mite levels.

I typically sell 30 to 40 five frame overwinter nucs, and I checked a few last weekend and they already have 2-2 1/2 frmaes of brood of all ages.

#46 ·
Hi Keith, I know that you are knowledgeable on pollen patties. What is the recipe to make the patties with your Pollen Substitue? Do you make them and freeze them until use? Do you have any tips for making them and storing the mixture or the patties? I just mixed some and thought maybe you could teach me a good pattie making technique.:)

#52 ·
Not at all.

I like the product that Dadant sells...Beepro to me seems to course. I mix it with heavy syrup, a little canola oil and add a little Honeybeesnakeoil. For the double deeps, I simply split the boxes in two and add a good three pound pancake in the center. If the cluster is still ifor the most part in the bottom box, I'll carve out a two in circle for communication. If the bees are in the top box, I'll invert on the top frames and add a sheet of wax paper between the lid and patty.

The canola oil not only serves to increase fat content, but also keeps things from drying out. The Honeybeesnakeoil keeps mold at bay.

That said, in late January in Western Washington the weather is starting to warm and we really don't get a whole lot more cold snaps...typically mid 30's with an ocassional upper twenty degree night. Not quite sure what your climate is, but I've had good results in mid 30 degree nights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.