Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dedicated thread for advantech

[QUOTE=Cleo C. Hogan Jr;899668]There is a lot of info on this thread, so I will add mine. I have been using it for about 5 years, absolutely no problems with it.

I like Advantec for tops. I paint most of them, but not all. They are great for drilling the hole for through the top jar feeders. I will post a photo of top feeders using Advantec. Some painted, some not.

Advantec is very heavy for bottoim boards of 10 framers, but, I use it in all my 5 frame nucs.

Thanks for the pics Cleo. I bought some hives out of FL that had flat migratory tops. The wood was some type of plywood used for concrete forms that is heavy and industructble. Not advantec . Does anyone else use this and what is it called?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
    The wood was some type of plywood used for concrete forms that is heavy and industructble.
    Possibly this stuff ....
    http://www.mccauseylumber.com/ppcfp.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

[QUOTE=funwithbees;899676]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Thanks for the pics Cleo. I bought some hives out of FL that had flat migratory tops. The wood was some type of plywood used for concrete forms that is heavy and industructble. Not advantec . Does anyone else use this and what is it called?
    Nick
    The second hand stuff is pretty much all we use for both lids and bottoms but it has gotten almost impossible to find. It's 7 and some of it 9 ply 1/2" plywood is extremely durable and never warps.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    looks similar.I'd take apic but they are all buried under the snow

I sure hope this is good stuff, as I just bought 10 sheets ($$$) of it yesterday. I plan to make bottom boards and tops for a bunch of mating nucs.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Wow I like how well it looks like this stuff machines. I'm definitely going to have to get some and try it out.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Man Cleo, that stuff is pretty tough. It looks like the finger joints you made with it didnt chip out at all. Thanks for everyones 2 cents on this subject. Im already planning for my hives for next year and i wanted to add the Advantech to my materials list. It amazes me at how expensive all this stuff is. Even if someone GAVE you complete hives, just buying foundations and frames alone will eat you up (its a sore subject with the wife) so finding materials that will last are a important thing. Thanks again guys
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

The best way to think of Advantec is that it isn't wood... It is wood impregnated plastic.. If plastic hives appeal to you than try it. It is very durable, but it is also very heavy. One of the few down sides of it that I can think of is that it is hard on saw blades. But that only becomes an issue if you are cutting a lot of it.
    Last edited by bluegrass; 02-24-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Decided to try a little test. I made covers from Advantech and since there seem to have been some questions as to how well it will stand up I put a 4"x4"x3/4" unpainted piece in a bucket of water. I'll post the results after a week or when there is a change. It has been 24 hours and still no change.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

dixiebooks... No, I predrilled the holes. No problem then.

cchoganjr

Thanks for all the feedback, i am definitely trying advancech next time i build just not right now. All the test everyone is doing is really interesting. At 35$ a sheet, thats what i paid for a good piece of plywood. Im pretty sure with stuff painted, you could get over 20 years easily. Thanks again for all the feedback. And howdy Cleo
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

In our day jobs we have a construction business. We have been using Advantec for over 15 years as a subfloor. It is heavy and tough and will hold up for a while when exposed to moisture. It will under the right conditions rot, crumble, swell, flake apart. It does take much more time than OSB (which is garbage for building material and priced accordingly) to breakdown.

We used some to make solid bottom boards a few years ago(4-6). They were painted when built. They eventually started to swell and the top grain is lifting and flaking away. We have some solid bottom boards made from 3/4" cdx plywood before we tried the Advantec that are in better condition. I would suspect the Advantec will hold up better in drier conditions than we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    dixiebooks... No, I predrilled the holes. No problem then.

cchoganjr
    Thanks, Mr. Hogan. I was thinking of getting a sheet and making supers for my Coates nucs. I've been using a pneumatic staple gun for assembly of the nucs. Do you think I'd be able to do that with advantech? Thx. -js

dixiebooks.... Yes a staplegun will work fine , No problems with the box joint.

At the time I made the Nuc and took the photo, I was still using nails. I have changed over to all staples and Titebond III. It saves time not having to predrill the holes for a nail.

cchoganjr

That is the route I took, also. Was pre-drilling and nailing. I even bought a big box (30#?) of nails online and by the time they came in I discovered the pneumatic stapler. I use TBII during assembly but use TBIII to paint the ply edges. Of course, I don't use box joints, I just butt the pieces up against each other. Thanks for the info. -js