Hybrid View

Default Dedicated thread for advantech

Hello beekeepers, i have seen bits of info here and there over people using Advantech to build hives and lids with, although i have not used it myself, i did find it in a mom and pops building supply store finally. I wanted to have this thread to gather info AND real world reviews of this product. How long have people had this product in the field? Were they painted? Do the bees take to it like regular wood? Im not sure what all thicknesses it comes in, but this particular store has it in 3/4" and 1/2" thicknesses. The guy at the store told me it was primarily used for flooring that wont be covered for some time, and it can deal with wetness fairly well. Used for flooring seems like it would have to be pretty tough. Myself, i cant stand painting, and not to mention it can be costly. Is Advantech really the true wonder material that its all cracked out to be? It is fairly expensive 35$ a sheet (3/4") but it might well be worth it. Thanks guys for the input and your thoughts.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

Default Re: Dedicated thread for advantech

> Used for flooring seems like it would have to be pretty tough.

Just to be clear, Advantech is intended to be used as sub-flooring, meaning it gets covered by carpet, tile, hardwood, etc in the finished structure.
    http://www.advantechperforms.com/
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I've been using the 1/2 zip board by advantech. I am using it for lids right now, last year I made lots of lids for nuc boxes and they look as good as the day I put them on, BUT they weren't outdoors the whole time. This spring I made migratory lids with cleats using the board. I haven't put them out yet but a friend told me his lids that didn't get painted are starting to peel( the outter coating). For me, I wouldn't use it for anything that comes in contact with the ground. I was going to use it on the sides of my nuc boxes but desided against it. My plan was to use dimensional lumber for bottom and front/back and dado in the sides.
    The 1/2 inch should be around $22.00 a board, the 3/4 might be more then you need, stuff is heavy too.

From the link above I see that the sheathing comes in 1/2 thicknesses and the thinnest the flooring comes in is 19/32. Also the sheathing comes in square edge and tongue and groove, whereas the flooring is just tongue and groove. Does is work very well for bottom boards?

Thats exactly what i was wondering earlier, it seems like it would work well for bottom boards. Im sure painting it would make it that much tougher
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

I after reading all the fuss about it here on Beesource, i checked it out at the big box building store and was disappointed to find it was just wafer board, not really a plywood at all. Maybe I'm just prejudiced because of my past experience with wafer board and sawdust wood (particle board). -js

> disappointed to find it was just wafer board

That's rather like comparing engineered boards like Trex to particleboard. They are similar in concept, but the amount of the plastic/resin in Trex is much higher, and the outdoor performance is much different.

Advantech has a higher resin content that ordinary OSB (waferboard). Its performance in an outdoor environment is certainly improved compared to OSB.

However, Advantech, like ordinary OSB, is a product that the manufacturer expects to be used in a not exposed to weather location.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise