Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: handles on the boxes????

I usually stack them, but if I stand them up I sometimes lean them against something, like another hive. Section shallows with a cleat are likely to get knocked over. Mediums and deeps are more stable. The cleat allows me to pick up boxes with one hand.

Getting ready for work? You're up early.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Old man insomnia and a full moon.

Gotcha.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I've been enjoying some of the old out-of-copyright bee books, and in one (and I can't remember which, except that it was a well-known beekeeper of the 19th or early 20th century) the author said that all his boxes had cleats running all the way across. His reasoning had to do with what in his mind was the proper way to pick up boxes-- with the cleats resting on the forearms and the hands on the far corners, so that the box was close to the body and under control.

I don't know if there's anything to this, but he was fairly adamant about this being the only proper way to lift a box.

It would be hard to toss the box up onto the truck that way.

odfrank, how do you attatch the cleat to the box? Do you attatch it to the box after the box is built? How do you make the cleat? Rip a 2x4 in half at a fourtyfive degree angle? Do you leave the angle sharp?

Mark, I think they had wagons and farm hands to do the heavy work... in fact the idea was framed by a little story about a hired hand being disgruntled about the lack of cleats on some boxes the beekeeper had recently acquired. I guess this was before migratory beekeeping was a thing.

Not to answer for odfrank, but it looks to me like the first cut is at a much smaller angle, and then the fence is reset to the width of the cleat and the stock is fed through the saw as many times as it will go without running out of wood. I'd run the bottom edge across a stationary belt sander to take the sharp off, then glue and screw. That's really an elegant design solution, in my opinion. As you say, it wouldn't work for migratory beekeepers.

I have to say, though, that I've stolen a lot of ideas from migratory beekeepers. For example, I'm using migratory tops on my Langs. That just makes more sense to me... why have an inner cover if you don't really need one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12