Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default handles on the boxes????

I am curious is there any reason you can't put sturdy handles on the boxes to make the lifting more secure? Those carved out handles don't seem like you can get a good grip on them to move them around when necessary ...just asking.

Kind regards, Cheryl

Default Re: handles on the boxes????

No reason at all. If they're your boxes, do it whichever way you prefer.

I put a 1"x 2" board across the front and back(with glue and screws) of my boxes,the bees don't care.

I make all my own equipment, and if it wasn't for being able to put boxes right up next to each other tightly, either for storage or in the beeyard, I would attach handles to the outside of the boxes instead of cutting them into the box like I do. It's just a little inconvenient having the handles stick out for what I want to do in my operation. John

Every box I own.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    I make all my own equipment, and if it wasn't for being able to put boxes right up next to each other tightly, either for storage or in the beeyard, I would attach handles to the outside of the boxes instead of cutting them into the box like I do. It's just a little inconvenient having the handles stick out for what I want to do in my operation. John
    you could just stagger them that way one is higher on one side and the other is lower that way if u have to store them the would fit together pretty nicely
    that the way i do it

The type of handles Odfrank has on his boxes are great IF you don't need to stack them side by side or end to end. The slope cut top and bottom (I use 30 degrees) works both to shed water and to make them easy to pick up, and I leave a small flat on the bottom, more comfortable.

However, handles or cleats take up more room when you are loading hundreds of hives onto a truck. If you don't plan to stack them that close, by all means use cleats or handles, they are MUCH nicer to pick up.

I use scrap for mine, so they vary in length from about six to about eight inches long, I don't make them full width. No reason not to, but most of my scrap isn't that long. Put them low enough for a telescoping cover to fully seat if they are the top box and you use telescoping covers.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Every box I own.

Are those Mann Lake boxes?

Well made deeply scalloped hand holds work great. Hardware handles screwed into your boxes are fine, but you won't be able to stack boxes close together when you want to. But, go for it. They're your boxes.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

odfrank - good workmanship is a thing of beauty and those handles are beauties! I'd go with those for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rail View Post
    Are those Mann Lake boxes?
    Yes, those are. These are homemade jumbo depth, dado joints. Same handles:

And these are cut comb depth, for carrying up and down to the hives on my deck, same specs:

Thank you everyone ...handles it is.....I have only just gotten my first hive...hundreds on a truck probably not.....:>)....I love the angle on those wooden handles...

As far as I do understand, for non-commercial beekeepers, the advantage of not having real handles is that one could put box on the side during the inspection. The Odfrank design seems to me very good because one still could put the box on the front side and at the same time use handles when necessary.
    Серёжа, Sergey

If one stands their super full of combs on their side the combs will fall against each other, which can be a problem. It can squash bees needlessly or crush honey comb, exposing honey when stood back on top of the hive.

Sergey, I would say it has little to do w/ being commercial. It's the industry standard design. Because it works and works well for all applications.

You may never have the opportunity, but when it comes time to sell youir equipment handholds cut into the sides have the highest sales value. imo, of course.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

If you put cleats on your hives be sure to put them down far enough that the lip on your lid will let the lid fit flush on top of the hive. I remember someone doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If one stands their super full of combs on their side the combs will fall against each other, which can be a problem. It can squash bees needlessly or crush honey comb, exposing honey when stood back on top of the hive.
    In Bee-class, they teach us to put removed from the hive boxes vertically on its back side (opposite to the entrance) - this way,frames do not smash. It is not my invention - many beekeepers do the same.

Sergey, I would say it has little to do w/ being commercial. It's the industry standard design. Because it works and works well for all applications.
    My boxes are not standard - they designed to be used with top bars. Since, I am permitted to have only 2 beehives - the design of the hardware is not important and I am experimenting.

You may never have the opportunity, but when it comes time to sell youir equipment handholds cut into the sides have the highest sales value. imo, of course.
    Not for me - I would never recover the money (time) I invested in my hardware - my hardware is expensive and I have no intention to sell it. Sorry, beekeeping to me is not about money. It is hobby to me.
    Серёжа, Sergey

If one stands their super full of combs on their side the combs will fall against each other, which can be a problem. It can squash bees needlessly or crush honey comb, exposing honey when stood back on top of the hive..
    Are we talking SIDE or END? I stand them on their end all the time because I use frame spacers in most of my honey supers, and we have a lot of propolis. No frame sliding problems. I would never stand them on their side.

Here are four boxes, each with a different handle!

Are we talking SIDE or END?...
    They teach us to stand them on the END, so frames are vertical - the rationale is that frames are fixed enough by propolis. This approach was used on the boxes, which were removed from the hive to have access to the nest. They quickly removed all boxes and stand them vertically,do inspection and return boxes back. Once returned back (horizontal on the hive), each box if necessary was inspected. So, basically, they started inspection from the bottom and then go up adding boxes.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Are we talking SIDE or END? I stand them on their end all the time because I use frame spacers in most of my honey supers, and we have a lot of propolis. No frame sliding problems. I would never stand them on their side.
    Maybe I misunderstood Sergey's Post, but I thought he meant their side.

So, w/ the cleats across the end, standing them on their end, they never fall back down? How much more do they weigh? Seems like people are quite often curious about how to make equipment lighter.

I stand lots of boxes on end when doing all sorts of hive manipulation. But, when I was taight how to do hive Inspection, especially for guys like Michael Palmer, I was taught to stack boxes in the cover and criss cross each other, not on their end. There are a number of ways.

Cleats are good if that's what you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast