Default One Hive will not drink suger water.

I have one hive that needs to build up, but they will not take sugar water. The other hives drink up. I wonder why?

Default Re: One Hive will not drink suger water.

I'm in a much different part of the country, but the one hive I had during the fall that didn't take sugar water turned out to be queenless. You might want to check for a queen, or a sign of a queen (eggs).

Try some apple cider vinegar in the syrup, just a splash to give it some odor. Sometimes bees can't figure out that the odorless syrup is food for some reason. I had a hive like that last year, and was getting concerned since it was getting onto October they didn't have adequate stores but still ignored the syrup.

I added some apple cider vinegar, and they slurped up 9 gallons in a week....

You can also use Honey Bee Healthy or just a tiny bit of lemon grass oil, which should do the same thing. They appear to need an odor clue.

If they are queenless, you will need to fix that, too.

Peter

What kind of feeder are you using? If there's feed available (and there isn't natural forage), they should be using it if it's there and accessible.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Not taking syrup is a classic sign of Nosema C.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    Not taking syrup is a classic sign of Nosema C.
    Sheri
    agree, you might try drenching with HBH and then add it to the syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by jloftin60 View Post
    I have one hive that needs to build up, but they will not take sugar water. The other hives drink up. I wonder why?
    jloftin,
    I feel your pain....

I'm battling the exact same problem. Started with 2 Nucs in mid January and was feeding them with an open feeder. About 2 weeks ago I moved them to their hive boxes and started feeding via internal feeders. One hive is slamming the Sugar water, probably at the rate of a quart every 2 days. The other basically hasn't touched it.

I have all the same fears mentioned here, plan on going in to check as soon as I get a decent day of weather. Today may be doable, but it's not looking real good.

I do like the flavor suggestion so I'll try adding a little lemon grass oil today....Almost seems like that would be too good to be true. A guy can hope!
    Last edited by Moots; 02-23-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: fix typo