Default honey on the bottomboard ?

I have a sbb with a plywood sheet that i slid in to close it up and pull out to see where and what the debris is. 3 times this winter(wisconsin its still winter)I found about 1 or 2 teaspoons of honey on the board, once in Jan, one day last wk and again today. it seems to be on days that are near 30 degrees after really cold
    what would cause honey to leek out ?

Default Re: honey on the bottomboard ?

Freezing and thawing makes things crack and move a bit. Could you have a mouse or vole in there? First warm day I would make sure make an effort to check things out. Seal it up good after you look with the pneumonia hole in the bottom, the bees down need a draft.

Why would you call it (the sbb) a pneumonia hole ? when the plywood is in (all winter) it is completely closed, no draft!

Sorry, it is my opinion that sbb's are not in the best interest of the bees, especially in cold country, but some folks are emotionally attached to them. With possible airflow all the way around the base of the colony, any hole up above could result in a real chimney effect.