Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Why doesn't everybody make their own equipment?

I built deep boxes today and it only cost me about $3.50 assembled + my labour. Paint will be another 50 cents to a total of 4$
    I just used a table saw and a radial arm saw (not necessary) and the lumber was 50 cents a foot.

Default Re: Why doesn't everybody make their own equipment?

Are they glued? Your workmanship looks very nice.

It's like most things in life. It's a question of time. I have a full wood shop, but buy alot of my woodenware so I have time for other things.

Well, I plan to finish mine during summer. I have about 250 hive bodies to go!
    and I used glue, nails, staples, and screws

I think you had a post where you said you paid $6.00 for a 1x12x12 that would cost me 17.00 on sale-22.00 regular price, which will make 2 hive bodies, 8.50-11.00 bucks. I can buy a skid of 50 at about 13.00 ea.

I guess I got a good deal. I understand people not making deeps when the lumber prices are so high.

Because our local supplier knocks them together so fast and inexpensively that it is hard to say no. We picked up a new hive yesterday. When we got there he didn't have any 8-frame boxes assembled, but put one of his kids on the job. By the time we'd picked out the rest of the parts, the boxes were ready to go.

Meanwhile, the local bee inspector showed up and filled up his car with parts. Frame pieces by the armload. If you've got the tools and the jigs, obviously they go together fast.

I've got the woodworking equipment, but plenty of construction jobs to work on.

I agree, people in the US probably have more suppliers than we do in Canada. The only good-priced beekeeping store in Canada is the Beemaid Store in Alberta but the shipping kills. Locals here charge about 19$ for an un-assembled deep box. That's what got my saws running!

Except for frames, which I buy unassembled and put together...I build all my own equipment...Boxes, Bottom Boards, Ventilated inner covers, Migratory lids, Telescoping tops, and Nucs. I've also done a few single items...a Bee Vac, a Solar wax melter, and just finished an observation hive.

While I certainly don't mind saving a little coin, the most honest answer as to "why I do it", is simply because I enjoy it. While the savings compared to buying are significant, if I did not enjoy doing it and had to put a price on the time i devote to it...it wouldn't even be close to worth it.

I am 18 and I don't have a job so I have some time afterschool and during the breaks to do some woodworking. Next year, I am going to university so it will be difficult to continue this, but I still hope to make some during my semester breaks. I appreciate making my own equipment as well and the savings are just a bonus.

Be sure to check when you get to school. I would not be at all surprised to find they have some sort of beekeeping.

My Alma Mater, Va Tech does. I was up at Penn State last fall ... they're heavily into it. I keep running into excellent thesis papers and research papers on beekeeping from Universities all over the US, and no doubt Canada as well. And they'd probably appreciate someone who can build custom research hives.

Will definitely check for some extra beekeeping courses to take during my spares.

We have a workshop. We build some of our hive equipment and enjoy doing so. If other things are going on we simply order in what we need. Unlike others may suggest we do have local suppliers and are minutes from the USA border so can take advantage of Mann Lakes free shipping (I wish more companies had free shipping).

Unless one doesn't work and/or woodworking is your spare time passion you should decide what your time is worth...at least as much as your regular pay on an hourly basis...and factor that into the cost of building your own equipment. At that rate it may not seem as inexpensive. Also for the effort of making equipment I feel it is worthwhile looking at the quality of the materials going into the project. It isn't a sound saving if the end product will have shorter lifespan due to inferior products ...or worse yet...that your bees will have a shorter lifespan due to toxic products.
    Just a few points for thought.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Right now, one CAD is equal to .91 USD, so it isn't worth it as much. And also it isn't necessary that 'home-made' equipment is inferior to store bought. In fact, you get to select your own wood and one can personalize their hive. The equipment I have made so far, is much better the the stuff I bought. Sure you can shine up a hive with frame spacers and frame rests. Through in some $100 paint and it will last longer, but I prefer recycling my equipment. With the money one saves, you can replace you hive parts at least three times, if not more. JMHO

Simple answer: TIME.

Second answer: Some people don't have the skill or the equipment to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post

Simple answer: TIME.

Second answer: Some people don't have the skill or the equipment to do it properly.
    Thats my answer,except I have more time than money and I have the equipment.
    Now if I had more money,I would be buying all my stuff because I'm lazy.

Nice job! Nothing like making your own stuff!
    Regards, Barry

Looks nice, I wish lumber prices was not so high here. A 1x12x12 cost 17.99 here before tax! I bought a pt 2x6x12 for my deck last week at 8.27. About a year and a half ago I bought 1 for 4.99.

Quote Originally Posted by larrybeach View Post
    Looks nice, I wish lumber prices was not so high here. A 1x12x12 cost 17.99 here before tax! I bought a pt 2x6x12 for my deck last week at 8.27. About a year and a half ago I bought 1 for 4.99.
    Larry,
    Just curious, where are you getting these prices. Since I've started building my equipment, I've done a little shoping around. The local mom and pop lumber yards seem to be literally more that twice as cheap as Lowe's and Home Depot, Some boards will be 1/3 the price. The big guys are convenient, but you pay a price for it.
    THe other thing that some will do, but I haven't bothered with yet, is get a quote from someone else...then have Home Depot beat it by 10%. It's my understanding that's their policy, and they will do it.

I have built 26 mediums for around $1 each, because of a nice batch of free lumber. After seeing the prices of 1x8s, it's hard to justify buying low quality lumber for $8.50 each when Valley Bee Supply has them for the same price in a better grade.
    John Sampson-Tucker County, WV
    "Get your picture with a bee beard instead if you want street cred." Vance G

Pannu,
    I don't know if you know about it, but there's a supplier (Beeline) in Rochester, WA near Olympia....MUCH closer than Winnipeg.
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't much cheaper FOB Langley, even with whatever duty is imposed at the border.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast