Punta de Mita, Nayarit, Mexico

Default Terra cotta clay planter box for top bar hive

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with terra cotta clay flower boxes used for top bar hives?
    I am looking for a woodless option since I live in tropical Mexico... Non treated wood rots very easily, becomes termite infested, and hardwoods are extremely expensive.
    I was thinking that clay would maintain temps very good in the summer heat and breath well in the high humidity but I cannot find anyone using this as a building material in a top bar construction...
    Also, interested in the future possiblity of glazing the inside to avoid them attaching combs to the sides.
    I found some that are within the acceptable range of dimensions for a tbh but am hoping for some advise before I move forward.

Great Falls Montana

Default Re: Terra cotta clay planter box for top bar hive

I would imagine you could get large clay pots inexpensively. They have been used for thousands of years to keep bees in. I would consider putting a layer of a homemade compound called hypertufa on the outside to help keep hive cooler or just get the recipe from wikpedia and make them yourself. So easy that I could do it when I was a landscape gardener. For that matter, you could cover a treated wood box with it or untreated for that matter.

Lake Worth, Florida, USA

Default Re: Terra cotta clay planter box for top bar hive

Wow, that sounds like an interesting idea. Will be watching to see what the responses are as I live in South Florida and we have lots of terracotta.