Default Warre/Lang Hybrid

Good Day,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if there is a ton of info on this topic somewhere that I didnt find.

I was considering experimenting with my Langstroth boxes. Has anyone tried taking the bottom bar of the Deep nuc frames off the comb when transferring the frames into your deep. You would essentially be converting your deep box into a top bar. Then as the need arrives, nadir an empty deep under this first box and let them continue comb downward, occupying two boxes. Finally, as the need arises place regular framed Langstroth med supers on top. This would give the bees the benefit of having their own natural comb size for rearing brood, yet standard durable frames for extracting honey.

Unless Im crazy and not seeing some major issues with this, it seems someone else has to have tried this. Any thoughts or redirects would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nate

Default Re: Warre/Lang Hybrid

You can achieve natural cell size by simply not placing foundation in the frames. The predominate point of the Warre hive is simple construction which can be achieved with basic tools and wood working experience. A quilt can be placed on the top of any hive type. Natural cell size can be done in any hive type.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I was just thinking the larger cell size could be used for the honey supers.

I was in St. Croix, VI a coule of times. Everyone I met there runs just Langstroth style top bars with no frames in Langstroth boxes. It would work a bit better if they learned to space them accurately (which they mostly didn't) and if they had a few frames for tying fragile combs into. The ones with cocoons, they would sew onto the top bar with pairs of telephone wires.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ya I have seen it done. I was thinking the frames on the honey supers would make extraction a breeze, and the natural comb in the deeps would make the bees less stressed and help with mights and so on. I never thought about stich comb to a top bar like that.. i have seen it trapped between wires in a frame.