Default Need a value on my stolen hives in Gypsum

I came up with a value of what I lost but I wanted to get other beeks opinions on the value so I can get it as close as possible. I had 20 double deep Beemax hives with the whole hive consisting of Beemax top, bottom board, and inner cover and hive stands. All were 10 frame fully drawn comb on 9 1/8 grooved top bar frames with wax coated plasticel foundation. What's a double brood box Beemax hive worth with bees and fully drawn comb and what would the same be worth without the bees? Thanks for any help I can get on this.
    Last edited by beardance; 02-21-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Default Re: Need a value on my stolen hives in Gypsum

I don't know about Bee Max products . But a regular wooden double deep and all the equipment you mentioned goes for around 200.00
    here in Washington but I have seen in ABJ they range from 135.00 to 225.00. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by johns bees View Post
    I don't know about Bee Max products . But a regular wooden double deep and all the equipment you mentioned goes for around 200.00
    here in Washington but I have seen in ABJ they range from 135.00 to 225.00. Hope this helps.
    The equipment might sell for $200, but with a 3 frame nuc selling for $120, I would value the total hive replacement at least $600 each.

Shane

I agree w/ Shane - AT LEAST $6c. It's not just replacement of materials and bees, but replacement of getting them built up to the point where they were when stolen. And don't forget lost income from those hives in the interim.

-js, responding from Lebanon, VA

Doubles here are going for $300 right now which I think is reasonable. Hives are worth more in spring than later on typically as demand is higher now.

What something is worth, it's value, and what you would have to spend to replace it are two different things.Do you have records of what you spent to build those 20 hives and then the cost of the bees you put in them? $600.00 seems like an inflated price. If you are trying to come up w/ a number to preasent in Court you should have documentation. If not your own record, then affidavits from reputable supply companys. Where did you get your BeeMax equipment. If they no longer have record of your purchase, maybe they can come up w/ a cost estimate, on their letterhead, of the equipment you have lost.

A websearch show that $74.00 will get you two deeps an inner cover, a telescoping cover and a bottom board/hive stand, shipping not included. Figure about $2.00 per frame and foundation and then the bees, say a nuc at $125.00 and you have about $250.00 invested. I
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Don't forget the 40# of honey that was still in the hive. Just saying...

Someone stole one of my hives and I gave the sheriff a figure for the hive, frames, foundation, bees, honey, the next season's honey, next year's split, next season's lost pollination income... don't ever short yourself.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Seems like a reach to me rwurster. But, if it works, fine. What if the colony had died in your possesion, what would the hive have been worth?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

A million-billion. Lose one hive pay off the national debt a few times over.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook