Default What can I treat my peach trees with that is bee friendly?

I have a couple of hives that are near the land owner's peach trees and they want to treat their peach trees with something organic that will not affect my bees. They want to treat them to keep the bugs out of their peaches. Last year they had a lot of peaches but they couldn't use them because of the bugs that got into them.

Does anyone know of anything they can use to treat them?

We are located in Texas.

Default Re: What can I treat my peach trees with that is bee friendly?

I think the most important thing to remember is the spray schedule for peaches. They need to be treated for borers in the winter so you can use anything that works. The rest of the spray schedule can be delayed until petal fall, when the bees are not in the orchard anyway. The small peach is attacked, not the flower.

I'm not aware of any pesticide that is safe for bees. You can use an insecticidal soap, just spray it on each insect you find.

The only problem is if he is a commercial peach grower they are not going to spray each tree when the majority of their petals have fallen, they will spray everything all at one time. He can also delay spraying until late evening.

Just make sure your neighbor doesn't use neonicotinoids to treat his trees.
    They are sold to fruit growers as long lasting systemic preparations that are poured onto the roots as a drench.

They would poison the flowers of the trees for your bees for a long time, and they have a sneaky way of working, that is hard for the beekeeper to recognize.

http://www.extremelygreen.com/Produc...ct%20Repellent
    I have used this on my plum trees to good effect. It has to be reapplied after it rains.

Spray BT on your trees and repeat if it rains or othewise gets washed off. That is what it was harnessed for originally.That will keep the worms out of the fruit.
    Last edited by Vance G; 02-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.

[QUOTE=RichardsonTX;899571]I have a couple of hives that are near the land owner's peach trees and they want to treat their peach trees with something organic that will not affect my bees. They want to treat them to keep the bugs out of their peaches. Last year they had a lot of peaches but they couldn't use them because of the bugs that got into them.

Does anyone know of anything they can use to treat them?

Depends what type of " bugs" are the problem? About 80% of fruit tree " bugs" are neutral or friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by alblancher View Post
    I think the most important thing to remember is the spray schedule for peaches. They need to be treated for borers in the winter so you can use anything that works. The rest of the spray schedule can be delayed until petal fall, when the bees are not in the orchard anyway. The small peach is attacked, not the flower.

I'm not aware of any pesticide that is safe for bees. You can use an insecticidal soap, just spray it on each insect you find.

The only problem is if he is a commercial peach grower they are not going to spray each tree when the majority of their petals have fallen, they will spray everything all at one time. He can also delay spraying until late evening.

Al is right on, We have several orchard contracts and trees of our own. After petal fall treat as normal.... and no worries.....

Try these:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    http://www.extremelygreen.com/Produc...ct%20Repellent
    I have used this on my plum trees to good effect. It has to be reapplied after it rains.
    Notice this product was used against a number of beetles, wonder about possibly SHB.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I think they first need to know the bug that they're looking to control. I've lost most peaches to Oriental Fruit Moths. I asked the person runing the peach orchard down the road from us what they use and she listed some chemicals that she claims are "safe" for us, but you need a special license to use. I'm not sure how safe it can be for me or the bees if I need a special license to buy it. She recomended BT that should be safe for me and supposedlly my bees. Not sure if I will or not. Getting tired of losing most of my peaches though.

Most common fruit problems within the fruit are the Plum Curculio, https://insects.tamu.edu/extension/p.../eee_00014.cfm. If you use insecticide after 75% petal fall bee kill will be very little if hardly any. I have read of the treatment as Adrian Quiney WI spoke of and it has received very good reviews. I simply do as the article says and remove all fruit, keep it mowed really short, and have chickens and that works for me.