Default Comb Foundation Mill

I found an A.I. Root wax comb foundation mill in the beekeeping supply room of an old family hardware store. I was helping them go through their new-old stock when I happened upon the machine.

The store is relocating after being at its present location - a former wool mill - since 1929. They've stocked beekeeping equipment since at least the late 1930's.

I worked there as a boy in the 1970's and that's where I developed an interest in beekeeping. That interest laid dormant until 4 years ago because upon graduating high school I enlisted in the military and made it a career - I wasn't in one location long enough to pursue beekeeping. I came "home" 12 years ago but it took me 8 just to figure out I didn't have to "relocate" anymore... At that point, an experienced (old-timer) beekeeper took me "under his wing" for a few years and now this is my first year flying solo. I started my first 6 hives in May '12. I harvested no honey last summer or fall and 3 of my 6 hives were destroyed by bear(s) around the time of Super Storm Sandy. No, I didn't have an electric fence at that location. My other 3 are inside an electric fence. I know that has nothing to do with the wax mill but I guess since this is my first post, a brief introduction was in order.

But back to the mill, I know it was manufactured by the A.I. Root Co because there's an envelope in it's storage crate containing a wax foundation sample. The envelope has the company's name and some basic operating instructions printed on it.

The mill weighs about 58 pounds and has 10 1/2" steel (?) rollers. The cells appear round rather than hexagonal and, if I measured correctly, there appears to be "five cells to the inch" (about 5.1 mm?). Again, if I measured correctly.

The mill looks like it was lightly used but there is some very minor surface rust on the gears. It's quite something to see.

I did take some pictures but can't figure out how to attach/upload them. I'll be happy to attach them if someone can offer help on the procedure.

I did find an 1896 Root catalog through an internet search and the mill - or one which strongly resembles, or was a forerunner to the one I found - is briefly described. Cost: a whopping $24.00

I've been benefiting from this site for about a year and I know there's a wealth of skill, knowledge and experience shared in this forum - I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me a little (or a lot) more about this piece of beekeeping history.

If I can figure out how to post the pictures, I'll put up some pics of other curious equipment and wooden ware that I've found ... 11" brood boxes...

Thanks in advance - Frank

Default Re: Comb Foundation Mill

Welcome Frank, and thank you for your service!

I'm retired from the Air Force too. Seeing that mill in a store where you spent time as a youth must be nostalgic. I kept bees for about eight years on active duty, but I had to farm them out to the edge of town. Didn't see much day to day activity of the hives, but did learn the basics.

To post a picture, click on the third button left of the "ABC" spell check button and follow the prompts to upload from your computer. Keep 'em flying Frank
    Last edited by Lburou; 02-21-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Frank there is a commerical beek call sign roland and I think he collects old foundation mills. I retired after 24 working minuteman. Then did some civil service. Welcome

Hello Lee and Vance! Thank you for the welcome and your service to our country as well!

Thanks Rader Sidetrack for the photo-bucket tip - I followed your instructions...

http://s1320.beta.photobucket.com/us...77237.gif.html

Frank

Nice find
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

"I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me a little (or a lot) more about this piece of beekeeping history."

Any wax comb foundation mill historians/experts who know about this...?

Frank