Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ECO Wood Treatment?

did the 22 mediums and 8 screened bottom board with 1 gal and had ECO left doing inside and out since seams easier to do that way

Looks like an easy test would be...

Take a sample of plywood, and pressboard, All from the same sheet. Treat a couple of samples with ECO, paint (or stain) a couple, and leave a couple as is. Lay them out and see what happens.

I may just do this, this Spring.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 01-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.

There is a big difference between waterproofing the wood and preventing fungi eating the wood. Unsealed pine around here is going to have a short life if not waterproofed, we have very wide swings in temperature and humidity, and unsealed wood will change size and shape repeatedly. This is not an issue in areas which have relatively low humidity all year and do not suffer from weeks long bouts of damp weather.

This is compounded by the fact that the bees will waterproof the interior of the hive in short order by coating it with propolis -- the result is that one side stays at equilibrium and the other varies. Warps and splits are inevitable.

I might use eco-treatment first, then linseed oil and primer and paint, as I don't intend to keep making boxes forever. With some luck I'll be up to 4 hives this spring, and six is about where I want to be until I have time to consider going to a profit making operation. I would not depend on it making my boxes last decades around here, and I know that paint will.

Peter

I just started out last year, and I went with this product after much research. I did the insides and outsides. I had a great first year, and I like the effect. The longer the wood is in the sun/rain, the darker they get, and I like the natural look of weathered wood that it provides. I do have one box that is warping, but I think where I bought them they didn't glue the corners.

So this year, I'm planning on getting a couple more hives going. My plan is to buy the corners from Eco Bee Boxes and use cedar. So my question is do I need to treat the cedar with the Eco wood treatment, or can cedar just go a natural?

[QUOTE=Moots;1046746]Dave and Sharp, thanks for the responses, very encouraging...

Sharp, One question, you say you just dip the outside of your boxes. "Supposedly" ECO is safe for the inside of the box and won't bother the bees. Curious is there some reason you don't dip the inside or is it just out of an abundance of caution.

This is the latest decision of this project that I'm waffling back and forth with....

I think dipping the entire box would be easier and provide a little more protection for the box...While dipping just the inside would be a little more "playing it safe" for the bees?

Technically, doing just the inside will use less product, but that's not really factoring into my decision.[/QUOTE/}

It's just an abundance of caution on my part.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12